Trouble breathing

cluckcluckluke

Crowing
7 Years
Jul 10, 2012
The Foothills Of Chickendom
Hey guys,

I have a Marans hen that is having some real trouble breathing. Ever since I got her she has always breathed with a bit of a raspy sound and with her mouth open (for about 8 months), but in the last two days it has gotten worse. She keep 'coughing/ honking' (like when they gobble down too much food way to fast) and extending her neck out likes shes reaching out to grab more air.

I have washed plenty of water down her throat and even tipped her upside down to clear out her crop but she continues with her troubled breathing. Ive also looked down her throat and their doesn't seem to be and blockages. She was alright yesterday for a bit and I thought she was finally ok but I came down this morning to find her back the way she was. Her comb and wattles have gone a deep reddy purple (lack of oxygen I guess) and she doesn't like to walk around much, just sit in the shade and concentrate on breathing.

I haven't check around her neck externally so perhaps she has a hole in her throat? I will check that soon.

I have a Marans hen who has stridor or the sound of something partially obstructing the windpipe, like she has got a little food in the throat. It clears usually after a few hours, but she is very heavy. I thought she was getting sick until she kept sounding that way periodically. I would check her lower belly for any swelling that could be ascites or water belly. That can cause shortness of breath and labored breathing, and may be a result of internal laying, liver, or heart failure. If the belly is tight with fluid, small amounts can be withdrawn occasionally. Check her crop to make sure that it is emptying by morning and not impacted. There are 5 or 6 common respiratory diseases from viruses, bacteria, and fungus that can cause respiratory infections. Some worms such as capillary worm can affect the breathing, so I would worm her with fenbendazole (SafeGuard or Panacur) 1/4 ml per pound for 5 straight days to take care of that possibility. Here is some reading about the respiratory diseases (MG.infectious bronchitis, coryza, ILT, and aspergillosis:)
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Back
Top Bottom