Trouble selling Seramas?

Hi! I live in NC and I would like some Serama's. The thing is now with summertime and being out of town alot I would not buy any now but maybe close to school starting back. Where are you located? I want the smooth feathered and no frizzled.

Also for those that keep them in the house as pets, do you put the diapers on them or just clean up after them?
lol.png

I just purchased some Seramas. I will say that in the future, I'll try to buy older birds, say 9-11 or so months old. You get a better idea of what they are going to look like, and how much their adult weight will be by that point. So maybe that's why it's hard to sell chicks???

Quote:
Its just like having a parrot or cockatiel. Keep a box of tissue close by, and don't let them sit on your head.
wink.png

Personally, I think I have enjoyed my house chicken more than any of the exotic birds I've had. They are just as cute and friendly, but nowhere near as loud as a screaming parrot, even the roos are quieter.

Last edited:
Quote:
Well mine live in the house but in cages, they do not have free run of the house. For example, One trio has a large 4'x4' dog exercise pen as their enclosure with corrugated plastic as a floor. They have a roost, bedding, food, water and mill around all day scratching in the bedding for food/seeds/treats. This cage is large enough and tall enough that I can walk into and pick them up as desired to check on them or just hold them.

I like having them in the house where I know they are safe. I can watch them more closely and in the winter I don't have to freeze to death to take care of them or worry about them getting too cold.

I don't have other family members to worry about being inconvenienced. Main thing is clean up their overnite poops every morning and clean cage totally when needed. Just depends on how dirty your birds are.

Quote:
I don't think so but who knows. Seramas do not breed true to size so larger birds can produce smaller chicks and vice versa. I think the breed is just so new (so to speak) - most people don't even know what a Serama is has been my experience and then you have all the special care they require (cold weather etc). I think it is just one of those difficult breeds. I have been working hard to push them in my area and so far my evil plan is working
lol.png
I kept mentioning them before our Spring Swap here in Oregon and no one was biting. At the swap, I sold out completely and I have orders for more chicks, teenage birds and eggs now. It just takes getting the knowledge and information out there I think. Just my opinion and experience so far....

Quote:
Its just like having a parrot or cockatiel. Keep a box of tissue close by, and don't let them sit on your head.
wink.png

Personally, I think I have enjoyed my house chicken more than any of the exotic birds I've had. They are just as cute and friendly, but nowhere near as loud as a screaming parrot, even the roos are quieter.

lol.png
I've experienced the "sitting on your head mess" a few times
sickbyc.gif

Thanks for answering my questions! I did not mean to hijack this thread! Seramas sound like what I want for an indoor bird. I know my DH would not be happy with any of the pet birds(parakeet, parrot) especially when you have to let them out for exercise in the house! But I can see a tiny chicken!

My seramas are starting to crow and it's far less obnoxious than my single ringneck dove male cooed. My dove was a terror. My family members hate him. He would court the female with his annoying coos 30 times in a row then break a minute and do it again. So far my Roos will crow a couple times here and there in the morning but it's not really annoying. It's kind of cute. But mind are not fully mature males.

Back
Top Bottom