Trying to ID a duck.

Ok, I've been thinking...if these were dogs I would clean them up, get them vet checked, make sure vaccinations and deworming are up to date and do all the normal testing and treating. But with ducks, there is no bird vet around here. So what all do I need to do to them and what specifically do I need to be watching for?

Ok, I've been thinking...if these were dogs I would clean them up, get them vet checked, make sure vaccinations and deworming are up to date and do all the normal testing and treating. But with ducks, there is no bird vet around here. So what all do I need to do to them and what specifically do I need to be watching for?
I would give them a good bath
Make sure they have vitamins in the water for a good few weeks
Add nutritional yeast to the feed for a few weeks to make sure they aren’t low on niacin

I would give them a good bath
Make sure they have vitamins in the water for a good few weeks
Add nutritional yeast to the feed for a few weeks to make sure they aren’t low on niacin
I have Hen Helper, Catalyst, and Motherload from Southland Organics I've been using with my chickens this winter. Never tried it with the ducks. Would those work? I have peas for niacin but thought that was an issue only while their legs were growing. But they all LOVE peas! What about deworming? My feed has diatomaceous earth in it but I know I had to use Fenbendazole on the chickens in the fall. Little harder to get it in ducks. Any thoughts there?

Motherload would be good to add to their drinking water.

Hen helper is for laying hens so probably not a good idea to give that to the drake.

Worming might not be a bad idea since where they lived didn't look all that nice. You could use the horse paste which might be easier to get down them.

I have Hen Helper, Catalyst, and Motherload from Southland Organics I've been using with my chickens this winter. Never tried it with the ducks. Would those work? I have peas for niacin but thought that was an issue only while their legs were growing. But they all LOVE peas! What about deworming? My feed has diatomaceous earth in it but I know I had to use Fenbendazole on the chickens in the fall. Little harder to get it in ducks. Any thoughts there?
Niacin issues can happen anytime
Peas are good
I add nutritional yeast to my feed daily in the winter and a few times a week the other months
I have never done deworming in my ducks they are a bit better then chickens that way
@Miss Lydia has both chickens and ducks and maybe able to help with what can be used on both sets of birds

Motherload would be good to add to their drinking water.

Hen helper is for laying hens so probably not a good idea to give that to the drake.

Worming might not be a bad idea since where they lived didn't look all that nice. You could use the horse paste which might be easier to get down them.
Ok, horse paste, I've never had horses so not familiar. Is this Fenbendazole in a paste form for horses?

Niacin issues can happen anytime
Peas are good
I add nutritional yeast to my feed daily in the winter and a few times a week the other months
I have never done deworming in my ducks they are a bit better then chickens that way
@Miss Lydia has both chickens and ducks and maybe able to help with what can be used on both sets of birds
I couldn't find anyone with nutritional yeast in stock when I got my ducks so went with peas. Might be a good time to look again.

Back
Top Bottom