tumor vs. bumblefoot?

kelar

Songster
9 Years
May 22, 2010
yacolt
I hope those of you with bumblefoot experience will weigh in here. This is a pic of the foot of my 5 year old Cochin bantam roo. This started as a grape sized lump on the top of his foot, more or less between two of his toes. It has never had a black spot/core. I soaked in epsom salts, wrapped it and put him on anitbiotics. There was not much change in the lump, but he did stop limping, so I put him back out in his pen. Several weeks later he was limping again and the lump had doubled in size. I soaked again and this time tried to open it up a little, resulting in the scab you can see on it. Nothing came out but blood. I put a sugardine wrap on it this time and left it for a few days. When I took this wrap off, it had again doubled in size. The lump itself is kind of soft now although it was quite hard to begin with. I took him to an avian vet this morning who felt that this is NOT bumblefoot, but is a tumor of some sort. Identifying the type with pathology would be too expensive. She put a needle into it to see if anything came out and also just got blood. She put him on metacam to relieve swelling/pain and felt that this would become unmanageable within a couple of weeks and I'd have to put him down. I have no desire to cut into a tumor on his foot, but does anyone want to weigh in on whether or not this could possibly be a huge swelling from bumblefoot. The vet did not feel that bumbles get this big, and that given its location and his age, concluded it is a tumor of some sort. thanks for any input.

No, he doesn't show any signs of having gout and this does not look like any of the pics I've seen of gout nodules. The vet has him on metacam and it seems to be making him feel less painful on that leg, although he's never really even limped a lot on it. Other than this huge and ugly tumor (or whatever it is), he is eating, sparring with his partner and acting completely normal.

Back
Top Bottom