Turkey Attacking Me. What to do?

RRMSG

Chirping
May 10, 2019
Colorado
We are keeping a BBB as a pet. He is three and a half months old, and was fine until recently.
Recently, his snood and caruncles have been turning red when we try to move him somewhere, and he puffs up and starts biting us, establishing dominance I think? He hasn't broke skin yet, but his bites are worse by the day.

Any advice? Do we have to get rid of him? :(

We are keeping a BBB as a pet. He is three and a half months old, and was fine until recently.
Recently, his snood and caruncles have been turning red when we try to move him somewhere, and he puffs up and starts biting us, establishing dominance I think? He hasn't broke skin yet, but his bites are worse by the day.

I've read that you can grab them by the Neck and kind of heard them around showing them who is boss. Maybe try that? If it gets too bad he made need to get a turkey day invite

It really isn't a good idea to keep a short life expectancy broad breasted turkey as a pet. If you have to have a turkey for a pet, get two heritage hens. Hens will be far less likely to turn on you than toms. Heritage hens if properly fed and cared for will long out live a broad breasted turkey.

Your tom is feeling his hormones kicking in. If you need to move him from one place to another, herd him using long sticks or brooms. Do not allow him to get within touching range. Always keep him at a distance and never let him get away with anything.

My guess is that you created this situation by imprinting him and he now does not understand that you are not a turkey.

Do not grab him by the neck. If you can't control him, matters will get worse. If you think you can handle him and he throws himself into a whirling, twisting fury, you will either end up with a dead turkey from a broken neck or you will be bruised and scratched up.

If you are strong enough to handle him, you can try humiliating him by picking him up. Grab both legs with one hand while shoving his body up into your armpit. You use your body and arm to control his wings. Use your free hand to stop any biting attempts and walk around for awhile carrying him like this. Do not release him until he has given in and stopped fighting back.

Last edited:
If you are strong enough to handle him, you can try humiliating him by picking him up. Grab both legs with one hand while shoving his body up into your armpit. You use your body and arm to control his wings. Use your free hand to stop any biting attempts and walk around for awhile carrying him like this. Do not release him until he has given in and stopped fighting back.
:lau

Now that he's coming of age, has his snood been standing up for you or does it just lay there limp?
If he's imprinted on humans, he may just think your cute! :lau

It really isn't a good idea to keep a short life expectancy broad breasted turkey as a pet. If you have to have a turkey for a pet, get two heritage hens. Hens will be far less likely to turn on you than toms. Heritage hens if properly fed and cared for will long out live a broad breasted turkey.

Your tom is feeling his hormones kicking in. If you need to move him from one place to another, herd him using long sticks or brooms. Do not allow him to get within touching range. Always keep him at a distance and never let him get away with anything.

My guess is that you created this situation by imprinting him and he now does not understand that you are not a turkey.

Do not grab him by the neck. If you can't control him, matters will get worse. If you think you can handle him and he throws himself into a whirling, twisting fury, you will either end up with a dead turkey from a broken neck or you will be bruised and scratched up.

Thanks this is very good advice. We didn't know he was broad breasted until he grew way bigger than our other turkeys.
Are gray slate turkeys okay as pets?? We know they're meat birds :(

Back
Top Bottom