TURKEY INJURED - MAGGOTS

Dec 17, 2019
hello! this had happened about a week ago; my brother and my cousin were working on the outside play pen for the chickens, fixing up and holes that were found.

at night, the chickens go into their coop to sleep and the turkeys go inside their play pen to sleep.

one morning, i woke up to let them out to see that one of my female turkey was hanging from her wing - from a nail! i figured it was from when they were working on the outside play pen the day before; it had a tiny piece of her muscle/skin/tissue? (i do not know what it was, i just noticed it being meat from her wing) on it. the nail was almost immediately removed as i checked her over.

it looked bad, and i was sure her wing was broken. i lifted her up, taking her down, and her wing was in critical condition, dragging. she was absolutely unable to use it. for starters, can i splint it? i read on here that splinting wings are very difficult and they will usually heal on their own, but i am very worried. i will add pictures soon.

and not to mention, the nail wound was pretty deep. it went almost all the way, and i had no way of discovering whether or not it hit the bone. my mom helped me, and we just decided to wash it every day. we were unsure whether or not to keep her inside or outside; we figured as long as we kept washing it and keeping an eye on her specifically, she would be okay for the time being. we put alcohol on it to hopefully keep it clean.

a few days ago, i had noticed maggot eggs on the wound. this really worried me, so i cleaned them all off and even had my mother look over the wing. we didn't see anything on it. a day after, i had went to my sister's house for a sleepover for a few days, and when i came back, i immediately checked over the wing. it had big maggots on it, so i freaked out, before washing it off. the wing is worse now. you can see the bone.

and during those days that i was gone, something had happened to her side; everyone claims to not know what it is from. it could be a cat, considering that they are frequently in our neighborhood, but we had no idea. today i noticed the wound, and it's bad. it's almost like a burn, except she was near no fire or anything that she could rub against. her skin is tugged up at the top, and near the bottom; it is very very wet, and there are tiny maggots crawling underneath and over her skin. i once more cleaned it, removing all the maggots or eggs i saw, but i am very worried for her. i do not know what to do, and we cannot afford an avian vet.

is there anything else i should be doing to prevent the maggots? she seems to be infested with them.

hello! this had happened about a week ago; my brother and my cousin were working on the outside play pen for the chickens, fixing up and holes that were found.

at night, the chickens go into their coop to sleep and the turkeys go inside their play pen to sleep.

one morning, i woke up to let them out to see that one of my female turkey was hanging from her wing - from a nail! i figured it was from when they were working on the outside play pen the day before; it had a tiny piece of her muscle/skin/tissue? (i do not know what it was, i just noticed it being meat from her wing) on it. the nail was almost immediately removed as i checked her over.

it looked bad, and i was sure her wing was broken. i lifted her up, taking her down, and her wing was in critical condition, dragging. she was absolutely unable to use it. for starters, can i splint it? i read on here that splinting wings are very difficult and they will usually heal on their own, but i am very worried. i will add pictures soon.

and not to mention, the nail wound was pretty deep. it went almost all the way, and i had no way of discovering whether or not it hit the bone. my mom helped me, and we just decided to wash it every day. we were unsure whether or not to keep her inside or outside; we figured as long as we kept washing it and keeping an eye on her specifically, she would be okay for the time being. we put alcohol on it to hopefully keep it clean.

a few days ago, i had noticed maggot eggs on the wound. this really worried me, so i cleaned them all off and even had my mother look over the wing. we didn't see anything on it. a day after, i had went to my sister's house for a sleepover for a few days, and when i came back, i immediately checked over the wing. it had big maggots on it, so i freaked out, before washing it off. the wing is worse now. you can see the bone.

and during those days that i was gone, something had happened to her side; everyone claims to not know what it is from. it could be a cat, considering that they are frequently in our neighborhood, but we had no idea. today i noticed the wound, and it's bad. it's almost like a burn, except she was near no fire or anything that she could rub against. her skin is tugged up at the top, and near the bottom; it is very very wet, and there are tiny maggots crawling underneath and over her skin. i once more cleaned it, removing all the maggots or eggs i saw, but i am very worried for her. i do not know what to do, and we cannot afford an avian vet.

is there anything else i should be doing to prevent the maggots? she seems to be infested with them.
Do a search for fly strike and follow the treatment directions.

The second injury is likely from a mating attempt by a tom. With her wing injury, the tom would not have been able to properly balance on her during a mating attempt. The mating injury could have been much worse.

Until she is healed make sure the tom does not have access to her.

Maybe people can better advise you if they could see a picture to see exactly what is going on, you might want to post a few pics.

these were taken before they were cleaned to the best of my ability.

Attachments

• F2238B96-9125-46E4-86FE-BD233629C3D5.jpeg
    F2238B96-9125-46E4-86FE-BD233629C3D5.jpeg
    821.6 KB · Views: 44
  • E00007E8-875F-4270-9121-9EAB0F6A1DCD.jpeg
    E00007E8-875F-4270-9121-9EAB0F6A1DCD.jpeg
    572.6 KB · Views: 44

Wash turkey daily in epsom salt or table salt bath, many maggots will drown in bath.have someone hold her and pick maggots out of wound with tweezers pouring water on wound will bring maggots out. You need to keep her inside away from flys and she may need antibiotics to get rid of infection. She must smell bad that’s s sign of infection. There is products available at farm supplies to kill maggots immediately.

Wash turkey daily in epsom salt or table salt bath, many maggots will drown in bath.have someone hold her and pick maggots out of wound with tweezers pouring water on wound will bring maggots out. You need to keep her inside away from flys and she may need antibiotics to get rid of infection. She must smell bad that’s s sign of infection. There is products available at farm supplies to kill maggots immediately.
Also keep isolation pen clean at all times and use fly screen over cage to prevent fly getting in. Maggots will eat her alive it’s called flystrike in Australia

Back
Top Bottom