Turkey poult pecked by chickens

Smithyard Farm

Songster
12 Years
Apr 15, 2012
Pembroke NH
I have a Turkey poult that got out of the brooder and into the chicken coop. Was pecked on very badly. The poult is 4 weeks old and has about a 2 -2 1/2inch diameter area where they pulled the skin completely off. Any chance she will make it? Or should I put her out of her misery? She is standing, drinking. Not moving much though. Seems sleepy. And still bleeding. It was a 3 hour span that I wasnt home, so at most it happened 2 to 3 hours ago.

Can you post pictures? Do you have any Vetericyn to spray on the wound, or betadine with which you could clean the wound? Plain Neosporin/triple antibiotic ointment is good to use on wounds. Separarte her in a dog crate with food and water. Is she in shock or showing any interest in water or food?

She is drinking. But sleepy-'looking on her feet. I have betadine. Someone told me hydrogen peroxide but I bet that would send it into shock it would sting so bad. I'll get a picture.

20180706_185911.jpg

I had something similar happen but the wound was on the poult's head. She was similar in age, if I remember right. She seemed super depressed and inactive, but I think that's normal when they don't feel good. I put Blue Kote on the head wound and she pulled through. It took many weeks before the injury healed completely but it did. I reintegrated her and the second poult I had at a later date when they were larger.

I cleaned her up and put her in the garage. She is a little more active. Seems to have stopped bleeding but there is no skin left, and completely exposed

Back
Top Bottom