Apr 15, 2021
Hey all. I have a turkey poult that hatched Saturday or Sunday. He occasionally gets stuck on his back and kicks the air and can't get up. I have them on medicated chick feed. He also doesn't walk as much as his sibling, but he still walks a lot. Is this something to worry about? Thanks!

TCH

Hey all. I have a turkey poult that hatched Saturday or Sunday. He occasionally gets stuck on his back and kicks the air and can't get up. I have them on medicated chick feed. He also doesn't walk as much as his sibling, but he still walks a lot. Is this something to worry about? Thanks!

TCH

TCH
Is he eating well? If he’s eating fine there shouldn’t be something to worry about especially because he was just born most babies take about a few days to gain their balance. If you notice he’s being weak try adding 1 table spoon of sugar or honey to his water to boost his energy. It should last for a few hours. Good luck!

Is he/she in a brooder? Maybe put some sticks of different sizes that they can easily step over, but big enough they can use as leverage to right themselves. I jumble them up so that the sticks are over/under each other.

I had a dead poult on its back in the brooder with no visible illness or issues prior. So, I went to blog reading and read that this can be an issue due to poult legs being weak and their bodies are big. Flipping on their backs and not being able to get turned over is a issue for first 10 days after hatching until their legs get stronger. After a week or so, you can remove the sticks.

I added sticks to the bottom of my brooder and (knock on wood) stopped having the issue of them getting stuck on their backs.

Is he/she in a brooder? Maybe put some sticks of different sizes that they can easily step over, but big enough they can use as leverage to right themselves. I jumble them up so that the sticks are over/under each other.

I had a dead poult on its back in the brooder with no visible illness or issues prior. So, I went to blog reading and read that this can be an issue due to poult legs being weak and their bodies are big. Flipping on their backs and not being able to get turned over is a issue for first 10 days after hatching until their legs get stronger. After a week or so, you can remove the sticks.

I added sticks to the bottom of my brooder and (knock on wood) stopped having the issue of them getting stuck on their backs.
So he hatched last year and is doing great! He's all grown up and gobbling outside

Back
Top Bottom