Turkey poults dying suddenly ***Graphic Photos ***

WalnutHill

Crowing
5 Years
Mar 16, 2014
SE Michigan
Greetings, all. I had 50 four week old Bourbon Red and Bronze turkey poults, purchased at day old. They are with a few Cochin/EE cross chicks that hatched from my eggs and are now 8 weeks old.

I've been raising both chickens and turkeys here for 17 years, the older birds are indoor/outdoor but all the chicks and poults are indoors only as it's been a very wet spring. Blackhead has never been an issue here but I realize there is always a first time.

Over the past several days, I've been losing my poults. One day they are bright eyed, eating and drinking, roosting and chasing. The next day they stand quite upright, feathers ruffled, head pulled back to the shoulders. For the first 12-18 hours, they will run when you approach, but after that they just remain still, then die and collapse. No gasping, no wheezing, no eye, mouth, or nasal mucus, no head shaking, no staggering, no lying down.

The dead birds are exceptionally, abnormally light in weight and show just a hint of white diarrhea dried on the feathers under the vent. The bedding is light and dry, so it's not a large volume of wet mess. Poop on the floor for the most part is the normal starter crumble diet appearance, greenish brown with white streaks. I've seen one or two yellowish messes, and cocci have been an issue here.

I suspected histomoniasis because of the rapid decline and risk factor with chickens mixed in, so I sanitized the waterer and dosed with oxytetracycline per label and metronidazole at .05% in the drinking water. I added Vi-tal to make the brew more attractive, and they drank 3 quarts in approximately 6 hours.

I had another dead when I went out for bed check and to refresh the water. I did a necropsy...

Liver: very dark and clean, no lesions.
Intestine: varied content, soft and pliable except for ceca, which were rather firm and felt quite full.
No signs of peritonitis or lesions on the intestine.
No sign of infection at all.

I believe the poult died of dehydration, but why? I snatched a couple more that looked droopy and dipped their beaks, but they showed no interest in drinking.

The smallest poults succumbed first, now my bigger poults are showing signs.

Can anyone please help with diagnosis? Thanks in advance.

Clean, dark liver, no lesions
No sign of peritonitis or lesions, no bad odor
Ceca firm, full of material
Not sure what to make of the appearance of the intestine in this photo
Small amount of chalky white diarrhea

Last edited:
Perhaps it was coccidiosis? I would either get a collective stool specimen checked by your vet for cocci and histomoniasis, or treat them with Corid. Corid is the best treatment for coccidiosis. Sorry for your loss.

Last edited:
There isn't a vet for 40 miles that will even consider examining/testing for anything to do with poultry.

I had them on Corid until about 10 days ago when they moved over to the automatic waterer (I have not figured out how to dose with that). Are there any contraindications to dosing with Corid and Metronidazole at the same time?

There isn't a vet for 40 miles that will even consider examining/testing for anything to do with poultry.

I had them on Corid until about 10 days ago when they moved over to the automatic waterer (I have not figured out how to dose with that). Are there any contraindications to dosing with Corid and Metronidazole at the same time?
Not that I know of, but if you can PM Casportpony, she may know.

I've looked at a TON of necropsy photos and it looks like I may be dealing with at least two different cocci. One that clogs the ceca with blood and debris, and the other that makes the spotted appearance to the intestine.

I will leave them on the Metronidazole water until the gallon is empty tomorrow morning, then dose with Corid at outbreak dosages.

I wonder why it's different this season with these birds? I've had runny yellow poo and some bloody droppings in past years, but a bit of Corid and a couple of weeks exposure usually kept them healthy until they became resistant.

While I didn't find a Metronidazole/Corid contraindication, I did find that oxytetracycline inhibits the Metronidazole action.

None that I am aware of.

-Kathy

Another thing it could be is enteritis from clostridium perfringens, which you can treat with metronidazole at 23 mg per pound twice a day for at least two weeks (that's what my vet had me do). My vet explained to me that often birds with clostridium perfringens are fine one day, dead the next.

-Kathy

I don't know the precise cause, but treatment with Metronidazole, Corid, and Oxytetracycline has halted the deaths (other than one which was already severely affected) and the rest are looking better and more active.

Just a followup, it was indeed coccidiosis, but it presented differently than it has in the past. Either way, no further deaths and the rest are back on their feed and back to normal behavior. I am continuing treatment at preventative levels.

Back
Top Bottom