Turkey turned purple and gasping

Remember, I am new at this and I am flying by the seat if my pants so...take it for what its worth. Personal experience can be very valuable, but can also be misleading sometimes...all I know is, all of my birds eat the same stuff and only one got sick, so that is one of the things I am using to come to my conclusion...

lol, ok ty. You really have saved me a whole lot of time frantically googling every plant that is in my yard. I can't Imagine having that happen, and I'm sorry for your loss.

Thank you for your empathy. I feel its part of raising animals. I love all of my animals and they are all very well cared for. However, some of them are raised for consumption. This was one of them. I am happy that I found her when I did because the nature if the illness allowed her to still be used for her purpose. If I had found her an hour later, not knowing how long she had been expired, then her life would have been for naught...and that would have been the real travesty.

OH, so it's still good meat! Sorry for your loss, and congratulations on a good dinner. I have a couple of extra Toms which are JUST old enough to butcher this year and can't wait for Thanksgiving!! I'm still trying to bribe my sister into coming over and butchering them tho. SHE"S the one who took Ag., dang it.

Yep. We just ate the breast last night and it was delicious...the rest of the bird went into a big pot and got boiled down yeterday. Today we will pull the meat and make a white chili for dinner and tomorrow we will use the stock to make rice for a nice yummy side dish. But ONLY because I found her when I did, and I processed her quickly and cleanly. And I was comfortable with the diagnosis (with help, of course. Man I love this site!). With congestive heart failure, I saw no reason to waste it. It wasn't septic from the gut or intestines and there was no odor to it. Have you ever processed a bird before?

Yep. We just ate the breast last night and it was delicious...the rest of the bird went into a big pot and got boiled down yeterday. Today we will pull the meat and make a white chili for dinner and tomorrow we will use the stock to make rice for a nice yummy side dish. But ONLY because I found her when I did, and I processed her quickly and cleanly. And I was comfortable with the diagnosis (with help, of course. Man I love this site!). With congestive heart failure, I saw no reason to waste it. It wasn't septic from the gut or intestines and there was no odor to it. Have you ever processed a bird before?
Glad you decided to process her.

-Kathy

Thank YOU very much for your help. It's because of knowledgable people like you that I keep coming back time and Rome again. The information that you gave was invaluable. Thanks again Kathy...

I have taken my birds to a place where I drop them off live and then pick them up looking like they came from a grocery. Does that count? (I also love this site. Even tho I'm technically new, I've been a lurker since Forever).

I was a lurker for a year before we got our first chickens...lol. Then I have been harassing folks and asking "stupid" questions ever since. Now we have chickens, turkeys, rabbits, goats, and a house pig. I'm always on this site and backyard herds...knowledge IS power!

Back
Top Bottom