Turkey with Bent leg?

DragunzGirl

Crowing
15 Years
Aug 9, 2008
GA
I have a turkey that I got from a friend that had to get rid of him. I got him back at the end of March. So he is now 2 months old or so. I noticed he has a limp and his right leg bows or well twists funny when standing or walking it turns as his knee bows in some. Is there a way to fix that?

345914530_923077105618190_7405473020250960344_n.jpg

I don't know a lot about Turkeys so will tag in @Huntmaster and @R2elk to see if they have any suggestions.

Does his wing droop all the time as well or he uses it to balance?

To me, the leg looks to be a leg bone deformity. Valgus Varus, with your boy having Valgus Deviation.
Sadly, if it is a leg bone deformity, you would not be able to correct it.

Some birds (chickens) can learn to adapt and thrive if the leg does not get much worse than what is in your photo. Some are not able to get to food/water and of course as they get older and gain weight, the leg is not strong enough to support them.
I would say the same would be for a Turkey.

Wrapping the leg to offer some added support may help, but I think that would be a lifetime commitment on your part.

I'm sorry, I wish I knew more, hopefully the others have better suggestions.

I have a turkey that I got from a friend that had to get rid of him. I got him back at the end of March. So he is now 2 months old or so. I noticed he has a limp and his right leg bows or well twists funny when standing or walking it turns as his knee bows in some. Is there a way to fix that?

View attachment 3508978

View attachment 3508978

I'm sorry to hear that:(
My 3 months old turkey girl became like this overnight, both legs are bent and looks quite lame now. Anything i can do to fix it ? She can still drink and eat.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2023-11-05 at 13.24.49.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-11-05 at 13.24.49.jpeg
    789.4 KB · Views: 5

Back
Top Bottom