Turkeys and Crushed Egg Shell

Demosthine

Songster
7 Years
Jun 26, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
About six weeks ago or so, I purchased three broad breasted bronze turkeys from the local feed store. So far, they're developing fabulously. They have access to their high protein feed for ten to twelve hours overnight and free range all day with the rest of my chickens. In the evening, they all share a large batch of fermented starter/grower chicken feed. I've recently noticed that they are already getting in to the free-choice calcium significantly more.

As big and as fast as they are growing, this won't be too much of a problem, right? I'm assuming they need the extra calcium for better bone structure to support their faster than average growth. The brooder coop I have them in at night is quickly getting too small, so I won't leave them in there all day. I won't leave the feed out free-choice all day because then they won't forage and the chickens will eat it all. Well, I may be able to find a way to elevate the feeding bowl so that the chickens can not get to it. I'll have to look at that today, but my main concern was the extra calcium causing problems.

Back
Top Bottom