Turkeys Gone Wild!

Inga73

Chirping
Dec 28, 2020
In the spring of 2021, I brought home my first Sweetgrass turkey hatching eggs. We hatched out about a dozen, and bought a few SG poults from other farmers to diversify the genetics. We ended up with a great flock of about 16 turkeys. They had their own coop separate from the chickens and ducks, but all free ranged together. Despite the cozy coop, every single turkey roosted up in a pine tree above their coop, no matter the weather. The first and only time I tried to contain a few overnight, they broke out of the glass window at sunrise.
Fast forward to Thanksgiving (October up here in Canada), and we got down to closer to 10 turkeys. Another couple of months later and it was time for Christmas dinner - now we're down to our favourite four turkeys - a Tom and three hens - to keep as a breeding group for spring. About a month later, I came home one evening and didn't see them in their tree or in any of the coops. I took my dogs out (two big GSDs) to walk the fence line, looking for blood or feathers or any other sign they were snatched by a fox or coyote. A small part of me hoped they were roosting in a different tree, but I was fairly certain they were somebody's dinner. The next morning, I went to put fresh buckets of feed out - a morning ritual the turkeys never missed, until today. I resigned to the fact that they were probably gone for good. I was abruptly snapped out of my doom and gloom by my dog barking, his eyes locked on the field beyond the fence. Did he spot that darn fox or yote? Were they coming back for lunch today? I squinted my eyes against the sunlight on the snow, and behold; a flock of wild turkeys, their dark feathers standing out on the white landscape. I looked a little closer, and there they were - my four white and brown Sweetgrass turkeys! They were mingling with the wild flock as if they had been there all along.
A few days go by, and I figure my four will come home when they realize there is no bottomless buckets of feed out in the woods. Then weeks go by, and none have returned, but I see them every few days with their new crew. Finally, one hen shows up. She eats and drinks and roosts in the coop, but she is more skittish than before - she's seen some things out there. The next day, she is gone with the wind. I keep seeing the flock, but now only one hen with them. Outside of the safety of our electrified perimeter, I am pretty sure that the other three have been eaten by now. She must be the smartest of the bunch. I throw corn out on the fresh snow every few days in case she comes back hungry. This time, she does come back, and brings with her a line of turkeys strutting down my driveway! It looks like my little hen has found a new flock. Until we meet again, little turkey.

I have heard of wild turkeys coming onto people's farms, breeding their turkeys, and leaving behind some cute little half-wild poults, but I've never heard of turkeys leaving the good life for the wilderness. They had access to shelter, food, and water. One of my theories is that maybe they got used to their big flock, and when I reduced the numbers down to four, they felt compelled to join the large flock of wilds. Feel free to comment your theories, experiences, or anything else!

Inga

Attachments

• PXL_20220206_181652908.jpg
    PXL_20220206_181652908.jpg
    582.3 KB · Views: 88
  • PXL_20220206_181719777.jpg
    PXL_20220206_181719777.jpg
    428.7 KB · Views: 42
  • PXL_20220206_181646877.jpg
    PXL_20220206_181646877.jpg
    581.5 KB · Views: 53
In the spring of 2021, I brought home my first Sweetgrass turkey hatching eggs. We hatched out about a dozen, and bought a few SG poults from other farmers to diversify the genetics. We ended up with a great flock of about 16 turkeys. They had their own coop separate from the chickens and ducks, but all free ranged together. Despite the cozy coop, every single turkey roosted up in a pine tree above their coop, no matter the weather. The first and only time I tried to contain a few overnight, they broke out of the glass window at sunrise.
Fast forward to Thanksgiving (October up here in Canada), and we got down to closer to 10 turkeys. Another couple of months later and it was time for Christmas dinner - now we're down to our favourite four turkeys - a Tom and three hens - to keep as a breeding group for spring. About a month later, I came home one evening and didn't see them in their tree or in any of the coops. I took my dogs out (two big GSDs) to walk the fence line, looking for blood or feathers or any other sign they were snatched by a fox or coyote. A small part of me hoped they were roosting in a different tree, but I was fairly certain they were somebody's dinner. The next morning, I went to put fresh buckets of feed out - a morning ritual the turkeys never missed, until today. I resigned to the fact that they were probably gone for good. I was abruptly snapped out of my doom and gloom by my dog barking, his eyes locked on the field beyond the fence. Did he spot that darn fox or yote? Were they coming back for lunch today? I squinted my eyes against the sunlight on the snow, and behold; a flock of wild turkeys, their dark feathers standing out on the white landscape. I looked a little closer, and there they were - my four white and brown Sweetgrass turkeys! They were mingling with the wild flock as if they had been there all along.
A few days go by, and I figure my four will come home when they realize there is no bottomless buckets of feed out in the woods. Then weeks go by, and none have returned, but I see them every few days with their new crew. Finally, one hen shows up. She eats and drinks and roosts in the coop, but she is more skittish than before - she's seen some things out there. The next day, she is gone with the wind. I keep seeing the flock, but now only one hen with them. Outside of the safety of our electrified perimeter, I am pretty sure that the other three have been eaten by now. She must be the smartest of the bunch. I throw corn out on the fresh snow every few days in case she comes back hungry. This time, she does come back, and brings with her a line of turkeys strutting down my driveway! It looks like my little hen has found a new flock. Until we meet again, little turkey.

I have heard of wild turkeys coming onto people's farms, breeding their turkeys, and leaving behind some cute little half-wild poults, but I've never heard of turkeys leaving the good life for the wilderness. They had access to shelter, food, and water. One of my theories is that maybe they got used to their big flock, and when I reduced the numbers down to four, they felt compelled to join the large flock of wilds. Feel free to comment your theories, experiences, or anything else!

Inga
If it was me, the first time you saw them with the wild bunch, I would have gone after them and herded them home. I would have locked them in a pen for a couple of weeks to break them of wandering off.

Too late now. Sorry you lost them.

I have the reverse problem. A wild hen moved in last year and is still here.

One day I looked out my back window and four of my BR boys were following 4 wild girls. Earlier I had one Nari hen who left with a bunch of wild girls, but she didn't last long in the wild.

To this day, I have a wild girl who will bring her polts into my front yard to meet me. I'm convinced (no facts just my imagination) that she's the polt who got caught in my dog's run and couldn't get out. I picked her up and tossed her over the fence. Every year since that year a hen has showed up with polts in my front yard. That particular polt wasn't the smartest of the bunch. I remember the day that something startled her when walking with Mom and she flew up and out, and between the drop in landscape and gaining height, she ended up in a tree about 70 feet off the ground. She cried to mom who gave her a disgusting look and gobbled back. I'm guessing it was "you flied up there, now fly down."

Inga
Lol. I never kept turkeys. I have a wild flock that lives on my land who I’m friends with. And I had a rooster wander off with them. I see him every morning and night when I feed the turkeys. I try to get him to come back, two years now he has lived with the turkeys. And there is a random albino pea hen in the flock as well. :)

We had a 2 year old hen, only one left that hatched 10 eggs. She is a standard Bronze and we bred her with a blue slate turkey. She had 3 gray and 6 black babies that were 12 weeks old. She has been a wonderful mom, until last week when they took off. All 10 didn't come back. We have several wild turkeys in the area and I thought maybe they joined up after reading this, I am pretty sure they did. The babies were 3/4 the size of mom and she has been training them very well.

Lol. I never kept turkeys. I have a wild flock that lives on my land who I’m friends with. And I had a rooster wander off with them. I see him every morning and night when I feed the turkeys. I try to get him to come back, two years now he has lived with the turkeys. And there is a random albino pea hen in the flock as well. :)
They really collect as many random birds they can into their flock

Back
Top Bottom