Turkeys Love Water

Oregon Blues

Crowing
8 Years
Apr 14, 2011
Central Oregon
My turkeys spend almost as much time in the water as the ducks do. I often find them standing in the duck pond and they love to splash in mud puddles.

It's hard to imagine those skinny toes doing any paddling, but they are fat birds and fat floats, so maybe they could swim? Water around here is shallow, so no danger of them drowning.

I dont have ducks but my turkeys love it when I put shallow dishes out of water. They splash and scratch in the water. When I dont put them out they find the lower waterer and try their harderest to get as much of their feet in as possible and scratch arround.

when my grandkids were around, i had one of those long plastic sleds. since they now live out of state, i've repurposed the sled to be the turkey wading pool. they just love to walk around in it - only 4" deep, but it sure helped when we had the very high temps this summer.
and, because it's so light and portable, it's easy to store when winter comes and the turkeys are vacationing in the freezer.

My turkeys spend a lot of time in the shallow end of the pond, keeping their feet wet. I think it helps to cool them off on hot days. I have not noticed them doing it on cold days, so I think they do it to keep from getting overheated.

My turkeys spend almost as much time in the water as the ducks do.  I often find them standing in the duck pond and they love to splash in mud puddles.

It's hard to imagine those skinny toes doing any paddling, but they are fat birds and fat floats, so maybe they could swim?  Water around here is shallow, so no danger of them drowning.

Someone posted a video a few months back of their turkey swimming. I can't remember what post. I will have to try to find it and post it for you.

Back
Top Bottom