turkeys or Cornish cross?

rollinrockell

Songster
7 Years
Mar 31, 2015
Would it be better to raise 10 meat bird or 2 broad breasted turkeys? Just throwing it out there with people who have more exp with turkeys then I. I've only raised 2 heritage turkeys and they were a waste of time and resource for my current property. They didn't weigh much at 6 months old, both were toms and only weighed 15 pounds each. I had to harvest them because they keep escaping even with clipped wings, either that or the neighbors dog was going to get them. I would like to try again with a non heritage breed but not sure if its worth it.

Both CX and BB turkeys grow big, fast, and eat a ton. They are both excellent meat birds. What do you like best chicken or turkey?
gene hackman flip a coin GIF

Your chances of getting usable meat are higher with 10 of any bird over 2 of any other bird. Broiler chickens and broiler turkeys are two totally different games. They take completely different styles of management. So probably best to consider your grow out situation, your schedule, and your own abilities before making the decision. It's too late for heritage turkeys in my location but I always get my bbw's in late july in Maine.

Just curious, how so? I've had BBW a few times and I just raised them exactly like broilers other than using game bird feed and it taking a little longer to grow them out.
So many reasons. Flightyness, feed conversion, feed volume, height (will they fit through coop doors meant for chickens?), aggression (intra-species and inter-species) final weight (ie wrangling them to butcher), wandering range, vocal loudness, roosting preferences, poop volume, space requirements, diseases and health issues, and nutritional requirements are all very different when it comes to bbw v cx. They are both fine tuned machines that require the right maintenance and fuel to perform at top specs. Yes, you can give them a little less than they need but they quickly become inefficient at converting feed and slow at growth the less fine tuned your systems are. It doesnt take much slack to make it so you're spending more raising meat for yourself than it would cost to buy an equivalent piece of meat at the store.

Last edited:
For sure, very true, the males are definitely aggressive once they reach a certain age and wrangling to butcher, yep, better have at least two people at butchering time, they get really big and strong.

You're so right about the cost too, especially now with the feed prices being so high, definitely something to consider whether one is wanting to raise CX or BBWs.

I stopped raising turkeys and now just buy 6 of them at Thanksgiving to put in the freezer. At that time of year I can buy a whole finished turkey for about the same as I'd spend on a day old poult, and yeah, it's not home grown, but you can't beat the price.

I like both turkey and chicken :D. Logistically I have the property and time to raise 2 turkeys. My coop is actually a converted shed I can split into 2 sections and has sliding doors. But your right about the feed costs. In the last 2 months it has gone up from $18 a bag to the cheapest being 24 now. As far as buying them butchered, the local places sells them for quite a mint which is out of my price range. I had friends pay over 100 dollars for an organic tom last year:eek:. I was thinking it be fun to raise turkeys again but not very realistic when you look at the grand scheme of things. My ten Cornish cross at 4 weeks old are currently costing me 3 dollars a pounds at their current weight and the way they are going they usually end up costing me around 1.50 a pound in the end.

As far as buying them butchered, the local places sells them for quite a mint which is out of my price range. I had friends pay over 100 dollars for an organic tom last year
If you don't care about it being organic, you can usually get turkeys at a good price around Thanksgiving (in the USA).

Grocery stores tend to mark them way down, hoping that people will come in and buy other tings too. Sometimes it's a free turkey when you spend a certain amount of money, other times they still charge for the turkey but the price is really good. If they have a minimum purchase, just make a list of non-perishable foods you would like to stock up on, and buy the right amount at each store to get the cheap turkey.

For sure, very true, the males are definitely aggressive once they reach a certain age and wrangling to butcher, yep, better have at least two people at butchering time, they get really big and strong.

You're so right about the cost too, especially now with the feed prices being so high, definitely something to consider whether one is wanting to raise CX or BBWs.

I stopped raising turkeys and now just buy 6 of them at Thanksgiving to put in the freezer. At that time of year I can buy a whole finished turkey for about the same as I'd spend on a day old poult, and yeah, it's not home grown, but you can't beat the price.
Tbh, this is my feel on meat birds. Our duck and chicken eggs (and they themselves) are so valued im happy with that productivity.
Bait, the beach and a few hours of enjoyment are my preferred and MUCH cheaper way to stock up on fresh proteins.
Zombie apocalypse not withstanding that is.
Course then there is my crossbow and the woods.... venison tacos
No criticism of raising meat birds implied at all tho. I see how it can make perfect sense.

Last edited:
Depends. I believe cornish chickens make me sad, they can barely walk and I don’t know, make me sad. I don’t really like turkey meat, but I’d rather grow happy birds than a genetically mistake.
That’s the main reason one grows meat on one’s own. Because meat and chicken industries are brutal.

Back
Top Bottom