Two new crias this week!

HHandbasket

The Chickeneer
9 Years
Jun 2, 2010
El Dorado County, California
As some of you know, my DH and I are assistant caretakers at Alpacas of Somerset Farm in the Sierras. Well, we have had 2 new crias (baby alpacas) born this week, one yesterday and one today! We were able to be here for the birth of today's cria. Both new crias are males.

Here are some pics I wanted to share. First, this is the cria that was born yesterday, 11/7/11. He is showing great fiber already & was a little premature and is a little smaller than usual, but he is strong and vigorous and very healthy. His mother is a maiden (that means this was her first baby), and she was a little iffy at first about him nursing but has worked it out. The baby is about 21 hours old in this picture.

59404_felicity_and_her_baby03.jpg

Here's a pic of the cria born today along with his mama, approximately 5 minutes after his birth.

59404_izzie_bonding_with_newborn.jpg

Now, here are both mamas and their crias.

59404_this_weeks_births.jpg

Last but not least, here's the cria born today, 11/8/11/, after he's dried off a little bit. He is about half an hour old in this picture.

59404_check_me_out.jpg

How could anybody not love alpacas? These are the most amazing animals, and we are SO blessed to be able to help in their care.

My friend's alpaca had a baby girl this week too!!! Congratulations and Blessings!!!

love.gif

I want an alpaca but DH says I can't unless I trade in the cats.
I thought about trading HIM in on an alpaca, but then I'd have to wash dishes and do laundry.

So, no alpaca for me for a while <sigh>
wink.png

Thanks for posting the pictures!

Now at a couple of days old, both young crias are doing well and are very strong and healthy. They were not really due until the 18th, but they're doing well. Will have more pics tomorrow to share. We have another cria coming in about 4 weeks and several more in the spring. This is our first year here on the ranch, and this is so wonderful and exciting for us!

Last month I had a preemie llama cria born, only 10 lbs, then she got septic.... With much nursing she has pooled through and is going to be one spoiled little girl. I need a girl for my male alpaca....

Crias are just so much fun....

195_peahy_4.jpg

A few days after she was born.....

195_peaches_in_diaper.jpg

Peaches a few weeks ago...

195_alpaca_man.jpg

My 7 month old Alpaca male.... still needs a name
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom