Tylan 50 dose?

I have always heard 1/4 for smaller birds and 1/2 for larger. The thing that I have seen a lot of debate over is whether to do IM or SubQ. I think IM is preferred but I did SubQ because I used it on a three week old chick and was afraid to go that deep into the breast on such a small chick. 5 days is max for treatment.

The Tylan soluble is one teaspoon per Gallon. I bought mine on Amazon it's kind of spendy but it works great. Your chicken needs to be drinking well on it's own to go this route. If a chicken is real sick it might not be drinking. Good luck

A few are not drinking well so I'm going injectable route. I am just not sure on dose because some say 1/2cc im AND 1/2cc subQ for 7-10 days for LF and some say 1cc im for 3 doses every 48hrs and some say like you did...1/2cc im for 5-7 days this all being LF and half the dose for bantams. I just want to see some consistency is all

I know this thread is really old but I have the answer to this.

First, as someone else said, Tylan 200 is much more concentrated than Tylan 50. So it takes a larger dose if using Tylan 50. When injected, Tylan will burn the muscle a bit and gives them a bruise. 1 ml is recommended but that's a lot to inject all at once, especially given that it damages the tissues. So, 1/2 dose in breast muscle and 1/2 dose under the skin on the back, or under the skin on back of the neck. And don't inject it into the same places every day, rotate sites.

Many people will tell you to just give 1/2 ml/cc, but charts say 1 ml/cc daily for most LF birds. 1/2 would be for bantams.

I know this thread is really old but I have the answer to this.

First, as someone else said, Tylan 200 is much more concentrated than Tylan 50. So it takes a larger dose if using Tylan 50. When injected, Tylan will burn the muscle a bit and gives them a bruise. 1 ml is recommended but that's a lot to inject all at once, especially given that it damages the tissues. So, 1/2 dose in breast muscle and 1/2 dose under the skin on the back, or under the skin on back of the neck. And don't inject it into the same places every day, rotate sites.

Many people will tell you to just give 1/2 ml/cc, but charts say 1 ml/cc daily for most LF birds. 1/2 would be for bantams.
This is very helpful. Thanks. I just ordered Tylan because one of my ISA brown pullets started making a gurgling sound at times when she breathes deep, especially on exhaling.

Quote:
CRD indications:

• Administer medicated drinking water for three days; however, medicated water may be administered for one to five days depending upon severity of infection. Treated chickens must consume enough medicated water to provide 50 mg per pound of body weight per day. Only medicated water should be available to the birds.
Turkeys:

• Administer medicated drinking water for three days; however, medicated water may be administered for two to five days depending upon severity of infection. Treated turkeys must consume enough medicated water to provide 60 mg per pound of body weight per day. Only medicated water should be available to the birds.

And this for the injectable:

-Kathy

Last edited:
I am currently treating a light brahma with tylan 50. He is very large so I am giving him 3/4ml per day. After two days his appetite has increases he isn't sneezing or coughing. I was pretty concerned because he is molting as well. So far the dosage is working well. I went with using a diabetic needle which I bought at the pharmany. It takes a little longer to get the tylan out, due to it being a thick antibiotic, but the needle is smaller and does not go through the other side of the skin. I also did not inject it into the breast, instead I pinched the skin on the back of his neck, pulled it up and injected. He didn't even flinch. I also use a different spot each time.. After doing a ton of reAding on this site, I went with this method and dosage. Love this site!

I have 20 chickens that I need to medicate for an upper respiratory infection they have had for a while. My health isn't the best, and I have been unsuccessful in treating the flock with oral Tylan 50 for the full 5 days because I am unable to stay up after dark. I do not have help. Was wondering if going to the soluble powder would be the better alternative. I see that there is Tylan 150 powder on Amazon. Should I try to use this, and if so, what would the dosage be per gallon? I presume that I mix a new gallon of medicine for five consecutive days?

Last edited:
I have 20 chickens that I need to medicate for an upper respiratory infection they have had for a while.  My health isn't the best, and I have been unsuccessful in treating the flock with oral Tylan 50 for the full 5 days because I am unable to stay up after dark. I do not have help. Was wondering if going to the soluble powder would be the better alternative.  I see that there is Tylan 150 powder on Amazon. Should I try to use this, and if so, what would the dosage be per gallon?  I presume that I mix a new gallon of medicine for five consecutive days?

How much water do,they drink per day?

-Kathy

@MsRiderUp, if your 20 chickens weigh ~ 5 pounds each, the all together they weigh 100 pounds.

100 x 50 mg per pound = 5000 mg. One teaspoon of Tylan powder has ~2500 mg, so the dose is 1 teaspoon per gallon. Does that help?

Back
Top Bottom