Hello, I've been looking into raising some Quails almost purely for eggs (not meat).
I've stumbled upon quite a few Coturnix Quail breeders in my area.
However, they all appear to be throwing around terms like "Jombo Brown" and "Pharaoh".

How do I decide which one to choose? Do these different breeds have anything different besides looks?
Jumbo, refers to larger size for meat. A good one will reach 18 oz in size, but regular 'phoaroh' quail are much smaller, and lay eggs much better than jumbo. So since you don't want meat, go with the regular cots, not jumbo ones. Good luck!

Guys pharoah is the color. All brown / wild type quail can be called "pharoah" hence why you see it everywhere.

Jumbo is just the size (10+ oz).

You can have pharoah standard size, pharoah jumbo, fancy colored (hundred of colors) standard, and fancy colored jumbo.

What combination of traits you want just depends on your needs and preferences :)

Guys pharoah is the color. All brown / wild type quail can be called "pharoah" hence why you see it everywhere.

You can have pharoah standard size, pharoah jumbo, fancy colored (hundred of colors) standard, and fancy colored jumbo./QUOTE]this confuses me. You said phoaroh is all brown or the wild color form. But then you said fancy colered. Could you please explain?

The wild type are the brown ones you see everywhere. They are also called "pharoah".

Fancy colors would be any other color.

I was just trying to indicate those terms are 100% separate from size terms like "jumbo" :)
Ok. Thanks :)

So phoaroh is incorrect to say that's a 'breed' of quail. Right? But phoaroh is just a color, and Coturnix is the breed that includes color varieties like you a&m's, tibiten, blonde, Italian, etc. Right? Just trying to get things straight.

Back
Top Bottom