Tyvek (&/or other house wrap) as Hoop Coop Cover?

CindyinSD

All will be well, and that will be well is well.
Aug 3, 2018
Black Hills, South Dakota, USA
I'm looking to build a hog panel hoop coop. I'm trying to come up with a durable cover for it. What do you all think of using a Tyvek-type wrap? Is it tough enough? I do know the tarps we buy here & on-line (including the pricey ones) seem to turn to fragments in the sun with distressing speed, and I don't have access to billboard vinyl as I've seen some people use.

Tyvek house wrap is intended to be covered with siding within 3 months of application per the manufacturers specs. It will deteriorate in UV light.
So do tarps... I've seen house walls covered with the stuff for literally years :lau so I was hoping... Of course those walls are vertical only. Any suggestions?

I don't. Believe it or not, I got it from Ocean state job lot. It doesn't have the "fibers" like the blue tarps have. I'll take a look when I get home later to see if I can find a tag on it.

I don't. Believe it or not, I got it from Ocean state job lot. It doesn't have the "fibers" like the blue tarps have. I'll take a look when I get home later to see if I can find a tag on it.
I actually went online after I read your post and ordered three, supposed to be super heavy-duty and just a few inches under the combined width of two cattle panels. I'll just cut off a few inches of cattle panel off.

I do not recommend Tyvek! Yes some folks leave it exposed for extended periods of time. As @DobieLover mentioned it is meant to be covered. Best would be an old tent or awning of some kind. Might be able to find one for cheap on Craigslist.
Have you considered metal roofing? Should follow the curve fairly easily.

Back
Top Bottom