UGH Coccidiosis

FeatherQueen3

Songster
Jan 13, 2023
Central NC
Hi guys. I have a mixed age flock, 6 weeks, 12 weeks, and 19 weeks. My 6 week olds moved outside about a week ago and now some of them have the bloody stool, lethargic, puffed up, standing with eyes closed stuff going on. They have been on medicated feed their whole life so it sucks this is happening.

Yesterday, I ran out to TSC and got Corid powder (would have preferred liquid, but they were out) and have been giving the severe outbreak dose to the whole flock (1.5 tsp:1 gal).

One of the hardest hit birds is a little blue cochin, she will drink water and by yesterday evening she was even running around with the rest of her flock and eating. Went to check on her this morning and she is back to lethargic again, only drinking water. Is this kind of back and forth normal? When should I really notice results from the corid? Also, is it likely my 12 and 19 week olds will get this too, or have they probably already been exposed and have immunity?

If your older birds have been outside awhile and haven't shown any signs of illness I'd guess that they've developed immunity.

I haven't dealt with coccidiosis in years, but from what I remember my birds started bouncing back within a couple days. Is the sick cochin's poop improving?

@Eggcessive and @Wyorp Rock might have a better idea of what's normal and maybe a thought on how to directly dose your sickest girl with corid powder.

They usually build up a tolerance for coccidia in the soil and poop in the first 3-4 months. Having a mixed age flock may be why the younger birds are getting coccidiosis. Mix 1.5 tsp of the powder with 10 ml or 2 tsp of water. That is equivalent to the undiluted Corid liquid. You may give them 0.1 ml or about 1/4 tsp per pound once or twice a day as a boost.

They usually build up a tolerance for coccidia in the soil and poop in the first 3-4 months. Having a mixed age flock may be why the younger birds are getting coccidiosis. Mix 1.5 tsp of the powder with 10 ml or 2 tsp of water. That is equivalent to the undiluted Corid liquid. You may give them 0.1 ml or about 1/4 tsp per pound once or twice a day as a boost.
Thanks. I did that earlier… to my Cochin and a barred rock that are pretty lethargic. Those two will drink water today but no interest in food. Just standing around fluffed up.

If your older birds have been outside awhile and haven't shown any signs of illness I'd guess that they've developed immunity.

I haven't dealt with coccidiosis in years, but from what I remember my birds started bouncing back within a couple days. Is the sick cochin's poop improving?

@Eggcessive and @Wyorp Rock might have a better idea of what's normal and maybe a thought on how to directly dose your sickest girl with corid powder.
I’m not seeing any fresh bloody poo in the run today. So maybe? Her energy hasn’t improved much though. I gave her a drench earlier this evening.

Update. Today is day 3 on corid, day 2 of giving oral drench to my cochin and barred rock. Fully prepared that I might lose the cochin. Not seeing anymore bloody stools at all but she is not perking up yet. She had been drinking water on her own, this morning she doesn't even want to do that. The barred rock will still drink and eat *some*, so I have hopes for her. I drenched them this morning, planning to do again this evening.

Well just got home from work and unfortunately, they have both passed. Hopefully this will be the only casualties.
Update. Today is day 3 on corid, day 2 of giving oral drench to my cochin and barred rock. Fully prepared that I might lose the cochin. Not seeing anymore bloody stools at all but she is not perking up yet. She had been drinking water on her own, this morning she doesn't even want to do that. The barred rock will still drink and eat *some*, so I have hopes for her. I drenched them this morning, planning to do again this evening.

Oh, I'm so sorry I didn't see this earlier, because I was coming to say that in my experience, if they lose their appetites it helps to put them back on heat (not too much! about 85F with the option to get away).
When they get very sick, they lose the ability to regulate their temperature, that is often what really kills them. Ever since I read about that, I put sick birds back on heat and they start eating again.
I wish this advice was everywhere because I certainly could have used it sooner, but I think many people haven't tried it.
When a bird is fully feathered you do have to be more careful and watch them for signs of overheating. But few of us have been taught that the hunched posture common to coccidiosis is actually because they're cold.

Oh, I'm so sorry I didn't see this earlier, because I was coming to say that in my experience, if they lose their appetites it helps to put them back on heat (not too much! about 85F with the option to get away).
When they get very sick, they lose the ability to regulate their temperature, that is often what really kills them. Ever since I read about that, I put sick birds back on heat and they start eating again.
I wish this advice was everywhere because I certainly could have used it sooner, but I think many people haven't tried it.
When a bird is fully feathered you do have to be more careful and watch them for signs of overheating. But few of us have been taught that the hunched posture common to coccidiosis is actually because they're cold.
Thanks for this. If I have any more start hunching, I will put them on heat.

Back
Top Bottom