Ugh, I think my new Silkie Chicks have MG

I’m pretty frustrated and going back and forth on what to do with them. I purchased these chicks locally just for fun to add to my existing large flocks including layers, and several breeding projects I’m working on. The chicks have been isolated 100% in a metal brooder in my basement since receiving them in Jan. Within 2 weeks almost all had sneezing, foaming/weepy eyes and nasal discharge. I treated with vetrx and fresh oregano. All recovered and only a few are still sneezing a month later. I take bio security very seriously and only visit these chicks after I have tended to everyone else and then wash up.

Now finding out that it is most likely MG I’m feeling the only option I have is to cull all of these chicks to prevent the inevitable spread to my other stock. I do sell eggs, hatching eggs and chicks locally and I find it highly unethical to sell anything to anyone if I were to integrate these birds or even pen them nearby 😢 BUT The prevalence of MG has me second guessing that, that it’s possible my other flocks have it from previous exposure anyways and I would be unnecessarily culling the silkies? Ugh.

Someone help me please 😫 I’m struggling to move forward and need to open up a new brooder for my next rounds of hatches and I need to either cull or move these chicks outside and I’m feeling stuck.
Going through the same thing right now!

Back
Top Bottom