Unknown disease, pls help?

Nadie

Hatching
12 Years
May 21, 2007
Hi, new user here, registered because I can't find a good place (quickly) where I can search diseases by symptom instead of name.

I have a hen who is maybe the fourth bird to come down with something I've never had before. She, like the others who had it, has gone from healthy to super light and bony in a matter of a few days. She can't walk, can't stand, can barely sit up, but is alert. She has no nasal discharge, and has been wormed more than once in the past month. She is starving, tries to eat but can't eat much at a time, and is so light I'd bet she doesn't weigh half a pound.

Pls help, all my birds are pets and I hate losing them.

Thanks in advance,
-Nadie

Last edited:
I don't know but if you have a college in your state that has a big Ag school, lots of times you can call and they'll have a poultry expert that can give you an idea. Ohio State University has one in their Wooster, OHio campus. I don't have his number anymore but his name's Dr. Mo Saif; he's an instructor in their Ag school. When you say "dewormed", what are you using? A lot of dewormers are only for roundworms; you have to check the packaging. You really need to use a multi purpose one. www.firststatevetsupply.com has a few different kinds. Also, lice or mites could be a factor. .

I really have no idea but maybe the birds got into something sprayed on the ground or some kind of poison. I would call my vet too,,,if he can't help, he could tell you who to call locally. There are many good bird vets out there,,,worth a phone call to them. Oh I'm so sorry,,how horrible!!! Please keep us posted. Julie
sad.png

chicknmania: I used Ivercide to deworm them.

Poison Ivy: Thanks for the link, a couple of the bacteria and one virus listed might fit.

Juliechickens: I will talk to my vet tomorrow, but his stock of chicken meds is usually limited. As for whether they got into something, I would almost think that's the case except this appears in only one bird at a time.
sad.png

Thanks for the input so far! I'm hoping this can be figured out before I lose any more of my birds.

Ok, the hen died today.

I read over the websites given, and I think it might be Blackhead, because I lost two turkeys to that a couple of years ago. I was under the impression that while chickens can carry it, it didn't affect them so much.

Any ideas for prevention that don't require moving?
sad.png

The chickendr has his own forum and he's not a vet,and sometimes he may be wrong, like everyone else, but sometimes he can give you quick veterinary advice if you can't reach anyone else or no one knows for sure. He's been in the poultry business a long time and knows a few things; plus you can buy stuff from him. He is very hard to get hold of this time of year, but it may be worth a try to contact him at that link I gave you; he has a toll free number too so you can talk to him. Between all the good advice from BYC members and moderators, plus some help from him, we were able to save our flock last winter when they were ill.

Also, I don't know if it's blackhead or not, and I'm not sure, but I think the med you're using is just for roundworms. But I do know that chickens can get tapeworm, whipworm, roundworm, gapeworm, and a bunch of stuff in between. Tapeworm med is really expensive, I think, but there's something else that treats all other types of worms and it's out in the barn and I can't remember what it's called, but it works, and is a reasonable price. If you need to know what it is I can look and let you know tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom