Up the ramp, please...

Minor update: I took the advice here and brought a light out to the coop at dusk, and the new hen managed to fly up to the perch by herself once she was in the coop. So, a small bit of progress. Thanks again.

Minor update: I took the advice here and brought a light out to the coop at dusk, and the new hen managed to fly up to the perch by herself once she was in the coop. So, a small bit of progress. Thanks again.
Did she go into the coop using the ramp herself...or did you help?
Keep using that light every evening, she'll catch on.

Did she go into the coop using the ramp herself...or did you help?
Keep using that light every evening, she'll catch on.

I had to help with the ramp, but I'm going to try adding some treads.

In the meantime, the perch is a good step -- I know it's no fun for her to try to balance with someone else plopping her up there.

She is a smart girl -- she learned to use the horizontal spring-loaded waterers very easily even though she'd had open-trough before -- so I am hoping she'll figure it all out.

img_0682-1-jpg.1224689
Is this the roost?
2x4?
How high up?
Brahmas are big and kind of clumsy birds.

Is this the roost?
2x4?
How high up?
Brahmas are big and kind of clumsy birds.

Yes, that's the roost. I guess it's maybe like 2 feet from the coop floor? Maybe a bit less. I know it should be a 2x4, but this was a pre bought coop with a dowel, and I had several people look at it before determining that the interior structure would make it difficult to switch to 2x4. Again, more stuff I will do differently when I can design my own set-up.

As you can sort of see from the pic, there is a nesting box near the floor opening. The new hen used the edge of that as a jumping-off point to get up to the roost, and she actually did fine. I could see yesterday that she was tapping the perch with her beak and clearly trying to figure out how to get up there herself, so I gave her a few minutes and she figured it out.

there is a nesting box near the floor opening. The new hen used the edge of that as a jumping-off point to get up to the roost,
...and if she misses, she might fall down that hole!!..haha!!
Well, you need to find a handy friend.
Probably the hardest part about improving the roost is just getting in there to get your hand on it, other than that it's pretty easy.

Doubling the treads has unfortunately not worked so far. I am just not sure whether I need to do more to try to train her to walk up (or down) the ramp or whether I need to stop doing that, and that she'll feel more comfortable dealing with the ramp if she can do it on her own. I left her to to try to figure it out herself until I thought it was too dark for her to see and be able to do it. But I don't really know how dark that would be. After her one success flying up to the perch, she hasn't been able to do it again, so I am having someone build a lower perch tomorrow even though I am not sure how the other hen is going to manage jumping and up and down with a new item stuck in the coop. Very discouraged; she is the sweetest hen, and I feel so badly that she's having so much trouble. Training suggestions welcome.

Yes, I see your point. Thanks again for the help -- will have to continue to puzzle this out.
Best bet really would be to add a pop door to side of coop, fill in the existing hole/hatch in bottom of coop, and lower existing roost a bit(~6" or so).
Can't really tell if you have a run area on the side of coop with planter box, but planter area would make a good 'porch' entrance to new pop door-after removing planter sides and dirt. Unfortunately, correcting 'bad' coop designs takes a bit of creative construction work, those with some building skills and some tools have an easier time of it.

Back
Top Bottom