Upcoming integration question

HazelandPearl

Songster
5 Years
Mar 16, 2018
Fernandina Beach FL
We have 2 Buff Orpington 22 weeks girlies. We also have two 3 1/2 week Cochin chicks. We will be starting integration soon. I think I am going to build a mini square coop to set inside the run of our coop. My question is at night our big girls go upstairs inside to roost. What do I do with the chicks? Do I leave them inside their pen in the run and just make a roosting bar in there? Or do I take them back inside the garage in their brooder? Also I'm scared it will rain. We have a roof on the coop (its pre fab) but they could get wet from the wind. We just cleaned the coop floor and now it is all sand, so they will not be on wet/muddy soil anymore! Any suggestions welcomed!!!

Attachments

• 6F2176F9-B177-4609-8C14-64FDBDA7051D.jpeg
    6F2176F9-B177-4609-8C14-64FDBDA7051D.jpeg
    423.7 KB · Views: 12
3/ &1/2 weeks??? I hope you are planning a nice looooong integration... like, months! Those chicks need a while before going in with adult chickens. I would keep the chicks in the brooder for a bit longer - until they are feathered out and can handle the weather. They'll be a little bigger then, too, and more likely to be accepted by the other chickens.

I think it's easier to integrate as young as possible, BUT only if you have the facilities for it. The coop in the photo, is that for your older girls or is that for the chicks? If that's for the chicks that's great, but I'm now thinking I'm reading it wrong and that's the coop? It's probably going to be tight quarters for 4 chickens, and unlikely to be big enough to allow for safe integration of babies. How were you planning to subdivide the space for the chicks? I don't see any way to make a space that's large enough inside the mini run, and outside, there's nothing for the chicks to take refuge in/under/behind in the photo. As reference, here's how I integrated my chicks by 6 weeks.

As far as rain I had several days of rain while my chicks were still very young. Under 2 weeks, I moved the brooder into the garage as a precaution, as the spot it sat on had flooded before, after that I left it out in the run. Of course that's when we had a torrential rainstorm and yes the ground under the brooder was half wet. The next morning I let the chicks out, dragged the brooder to a drier spot in the run, and they were no worse for wear.

I was thinking of adding to the run area with an extension. I am slowly getting good at building small things lol. I can add on the to side to make it larger. This coop said 8-10 chickens. Until I became a member here on BYC I thought well that's great, now I know it is way too small! I can't believe they can state that. I'm glad to have done some research now. Just wish I hadn't purchased this under false pretenses. They are only in the coop/run in the am then they are out free ranging all day.

I was thinking of adding to the run area with an extension. I am slowly getting good at building small things lol. I can add on the to side to make it larger. This coop said 8-10 chickens. Until I became a member here on BYC I thought well that's great, now I know it is way too small! I can't believe they can state that. I'm glad to have done some research now. Just wish I hadn't purchased this under false pretenses.

Unfortunately it's a trap many first time owners fall into. I started off with a prefab as well, though mine was slightly more realistic about the numbers it would hold.

Have you considered turning the entire thing into the coop? Mini runs are fairly useless IMO and better serve as coop space. Take out what interior walls you can, then run a new roost lengthwise across the open space. Cover up the wire mesh in the direction of prevailing winds - since you're in a hot climate I wouldn't have more than 1 side covered up. You may need to move or add a new nest box. For 4 birds only 1 box is necessary.

I was going to put a small dog crate in there or a small hand made enclosure under the roosting bar on the right.

Measure that space and see how large it is (while still giving enough clearance for the older birds to get up and down the ramp and out the door). You'd possibly need to fit food and water in that space as well, for a few days at least.

I was going to Start soon, not just put them out there and walk away. Just get them some time outside near the big girls to start with. They seem to love it when we play outside in the grass etc. just wanted to look into options and get suggestions for how to start. The two older are my first so I’m new at all this :) my big girls went in their coop/run at 10 weeks. I knew integration takes longer so I was seeing when I could start some see no touch time.
@ChocolateMouse

Of course, you can start see-not-touch as early as the chicks are able to handle your outdoor temperatures. I agree with making sure they have enough space - that looks like a small coop.
Personally I find integration at older ages easier. My chickens have had a tendency to peck to injury or beyond chicks that are too small to stand up for themselves. But everyone has their own methods.

I find integration easiest at 3 weeks, but I have a totally different set up. I have a great deal of space. I have hide outs.

However, I think you can start now by using your coop/run as the separation. What I would suggest is letting out the big girls into the yard, and locking them out, put your chicks in the set up. I would put either a box or a tote, or what ever you have them brooding in its side, with a towel hanging like a short curtain and the chicks will go into that at dark, then just carry the box back to the brooder. Let the big girls in.

Do that for a couple weeks. Any time you let the big girls out, put the chicks in the set up. Set up some small pieces of ply wood, leaned against a wall, easy hide out. This will let the chicks get comfortable in the coop/run, without being chased by the big girls. The big girls can see who is in their coop and get used to that, without being able to chase them. Sometimes feed them both along the fence.

After a month, turn everyone out into the big yard and see how it goes. Eventually, start putting the tote with chicks in the coop. And within a few days take the tote away.

4 is the absolute max that I would put in there, and if you live in the north, I would be looking in the want adds for a shed.

Mrs K

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom