Update and concerns after injury from dog

Devildai0321

In the Brooder
Mar 31, 2024
A week ago my dog bolted and grabbed my little silkie chick. I posted on here and got some great advice. We made her a chick chair immediately after suggestion. She sits in it for a bit and lays on a blanket or towel when she fed up with sitting. She still can not stand and her left leg seems as though she can't bend it and her toes on that side are starting to curl. She will flap her wings and wiggle around to get in to a comfy position. The wound on her back has pretty much healed (thank goodness) but now I worry about the leg straightening and curling of the toes. I do little foot massages, bending of her toes since they've started curling. Poor baby is getting so agitated just laying around but can't for the life of her move.

20240423_151029.jpg
20240427_204027.jpg
20240427_204113.jpg

Original thread https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/chick-injured-from-dog.1620381/ Helps to have all the information in one place.

@Eggcessive suggested you give the chick vitamin E. Poultry Cell would not have an adequate amount for such a therapeutic purpose. I would suggest you give one gel cap of E with egg each day, and also B-complex which you can do by dropping a tablet into the water. Again, this should be in greater amounts than what normally are in chick vitamins.

Healing must take place in damaged nerve endings, thus the curling toes. I think you would see some improvement if you were to give therapeutic doses of the E and B-complex.

Back
Top Bottom