UPDATE My duckling was stepped on

jducour

Songster
Mar 14, 2015
Utah
Help! I have a fawn runner duckling that is almost two weeks old. While I was cleaning her pen this morning, my three year old stepped on her very hard accidentally. She doesn't seem to be in any pain, and there isn't any sign of breakage, but her foot is limp, and her wing is drooping. She isn't able to move her leg or foot, or put any weight on it. Please help! I haven't done anything yet, I'm not sure if I should splint it or not, since there isn't any obvious injury. Right now she is eating and drinking, but she has a hard time scooting to the food.

I am also worried about internal injuries, she stepped on the ducklings torso, more on the right side, which is the side that is lame now. She is eating and drinking fine, and her stool seems normal for now. She is so sweet, and loves cuddling, so she is always as close as she can be to anyone. Unfortunately, my happy toddler was not watching where she was walking.

I just took her to an avian vet, and it looks like her femur is broken. He thinks she will be ok though! I need to let her swim in a warm bath as much as possible to take the weight off the break, and separate her from her friends, because they were trampling and nipping at her injured foot. He thinks that she will completely recover, and will again walk.

Back
Top Bottom