Update on wry neck chick 5 weeks old

realsis

Crazy for Silkies
11 Years
Jan 17, 2013
California
Hi friends I've been giving my wry neck chick her vitamins for around 2 weeks now. I mix a vitamin mash she seems to love. She was doing the complete diagonal splits for these two weeks. I work with her by putting legs back in place. I'd even tried to vet wrap her legs where she couldn't throw the leg behind her. But it seemed to make her more nervous and seemed painful. So I removed the wrap. Today for the first time I noticed she stood on her own! I was so happy and greatful to God! I did notice her toes on both feet still curled but even bringing her two legs together is so far ahead of where she was. Finally things are looking up for her. For awhile my husband thought we might have to cull her because of her quality of life. Now she is finally going up hill. Her life is just starting and it would kill me to have to cull her without trying everything. I'm still not 100% it's just a vitamin defiency as it is presenting as Mareks. She was vaccinated at hatch but she still could of caught it somehow. As long as she is able to walk and stand I will be happy. I will continue her vitamins and hope and pray her feet unfurl. I'm amazed she was able to draw the leg back into a normal position by herself without my help. I'm writing this to hopefully help someone else going through the same issue. She's separate and in a large cat carrying cage. It takes a real lot of patience as for a couple weeks I'd seen zero improvement. I was becoming very discouraged. But to see her stand today without help with her legs in place gave me a renewed hope. Of course without proper testing I can't know for sure if it's a vitamin defiency such as wry neck or Mareks disease. As I understand it because she was vaccinated she has a better chance of survival if she does have Mareks disease. Keep her in your thoughts and prayers. Thanks friends.

Sorry your bird isn't doing so well. The vaccine doesn't prevent the disease, it only helps prevent SOME of the symptoms of it.

What were you feeding before the wry neck started?
What vitamins are you feeding today and what feed are you feeding?

I was feeding the medicated grower which being a thymine blocker I figured could of caused a deficiency. Now I use regular grower but make a mash with poultry cell (She loves the taste) vitamin E mixed in with a small amount of slenimun mixed in. Poultry Cell has lots of vitamins for her. She also got drops of B2 and B12 at the beginning. The vitamin E I pop with a pin and mix into the mas. I add water to that and she eats it up. So she's getting her Bs and Es and a very small amount of slenimun. In her water I mix poultry cell alone.

When did she start with the wry neck issues? At what age?
Did you hatch her?

When did she start with the wry neck issues? At what age?
Did you hatch her?
She was shipped from Myers hatchery. She was normal one of my bigger birds. She is actually 7 weeks now but she presented suddenly at 5 weeks old. She was healthy one day, the next getting trampled by the flock because her leg was one splayed out behind her and one in front. I immediately separated her from the flock. Today is the first time she has brought her legs together normally without help and stood for 14 days about. Both feet are still badly curled but I'm hopeful.

She was shipped from Myers hatchery. She was normal one of my bigger birds. She is actually 7 weeks now but she presented suddenly at 5 weeks old. She was healthy one day, the next getting trampled by the flock because her leg was one splayed out behind her and one in front. I immediately separated her from the flock. Today is the first time she has brought her legs together normally without help and stood for 14 days about. Both feet are still badly curled but I'm hopeful.
She is a Esster Egger. ( Americuna I think)

Strange. If she was eating only the crumbled feed she should be showing signs of a vitamin deficiency unless she she was being bullied and not actually eating enough.
Are you tube feeding her to make sure she eats enough each day?
Is she only getting the crumbled feed or are you feeding other things too?

Strange. If she was eating only the crumbled feed she should be showing signs of a vitamin deficiency unless she she was being bullied and not actually eating enough.
Are you tube feeding her to make sure she eats enough each day?
Is she only getting the crumbled feed or are you feeding other things too?
I have been feeding the mashed and vitamins. She has been eating well and drinking well . I haven't tube fed her although I do have the tubes from a previous wry neck. Her appetite is still good thank God. I have not fed other things as of yet. I just am not sure what this is. She was one of my largest birds fine one day at the end of the next day splayed out with the rest of the flock trampling her. I assume she was down is why they trampled her. I heard her scream and came running. I really don't know if she has a bit of Mareks. She was vaccinated at hatch. Perhaps that's the reason she can now move her legs and no longer splits out. The curled feet are the last issue. She seems to be trying to walk today. With two weeks of no improvement at all.

Silkies tend to wry neck. A couple of years ago one of mine went wry necked. I bought vitamin E from the regular store supplement section. I kept her in a pet kennel to reduce injury from trampling and restrict her movements. I'd pierce one of the gel capsules, squirter it on a very small amount of food to be sure she invested it all. Then, she got her regular ration and fresh water. In a few days she was fine.
Best to you all!

Back
Top Bottom