UPDATE! Sexing Black Copper Marans Chicks

Hello again everyone! A while ago I asked if anyone had any tips on sexing young black copper marans chicks- it was recommended to take some pictures. So here's the five little ones! They are just over 3 weeks old- any input? There is one (first picture) with significantly larger tail feathers, the others are all basically identical body-wise.

Hi there, I got my BCM at 4 weeks and it wasn't until 1-2 weeks later that one of them developed a larger comb and wattles. I think you need to wait a while longer, however, we could venture some guesses if they were standing rather than being held and the combs were all visible. Based on these photos anything I said would be a wild guess, sorry.

Still too young to tell. By about 6 to 8 weeks is when the male/female feather patterns start coming in. Males will have dark red on the shoulders/wings. Females will only get 'copper' on their necks and chest area.

Well, I just found the picture from this Spring taken a few days after getting our Marans. The lighter one in the back was the only light one the breeder had and he was an obvious cockerel at 4 weeks when I got them - we were told he was a splash, but he ended up be a gorgeous, but aggressive Blue Copper Marans. The others I hoped were all pullets. Can you pick out the one that isn't? When I took this picture it was the first time I went - uh-oh Cherry's a he! They were 4 weeks and 4 days here. So, yes with this breed it is best to wait, but sometimes you can tell early on.

They all look like pullets at this point. BCM's can telecast very early...I knew at 2 weeks which was a roo in my batch. You can see them in my BCM photo folder below. It is very easy to tell who is a he by the comb size.

So nobody is screaming roo at this point...looks good for pullets...but obviously time will tell.

LofMc

Back
Top Bottom