update

received a request for an up date. My mini flock is no more. Coyotes killed some through a gap in gate. Replacements were sickly and then the rats came ugh. My husband lost his battle to cancer a month ago. I may restart a flock but not sure yet.
So sorry about the loss of your husband! Perhaps just doing what is the least stressful for you at this time, is best.😔

received a request for an up date. My mini flock is no more. Coyotes killed some through a gap in gate. Replacements were sickly and then the rats came ugh. My husband lost his battle to cancer a month ago. I may restart a flock but not sure yet.
I am so sorry for the loss of your husband, and of course for your flock. Whatever you decide, I hope it will bring you peace.

Oh, I am so sorry for ALL your losses. That is so hard! :hugs

Rats ARE AWFUL, and hard to get rid of. It helped a lot when I cleaned up all the spilled food and arranged feeding so the birds didn't spill so much. First I went with mash for the birds, then switched to a no spill feeder. To make mash, you just put some water in with the feed. If you keep it around a bit, it grows some good micro-organisms, though some don't like the smell.

If you decide to go back and try chickens again, Here are a few articles that might help

Predator protection for new & existing coops

Electric fence

BYC Lists of Chicken Ailments and Cures

Selecting Healthy chicks

Back
Top Bottom