Updates! Getting a guard goose! Getting more chickens!

GlowBean

Chirping
Dec 16, 2023
Pa, United states
Hello! Finally able to tell you guys 3 things, 1: Our chickens (Particularly Dusty and Shotgun) Are doing way more better and yes we did figure out that most of them did had coccidia, and Shotgun does have swollen ankles (Not badly though you can still tell) and he is able to move much better now he is finally able to move all the way from the house to our coop/run area (I'm surprised he's already moving about so quickly he's like a little child once a child get sick they are like bleh then once they get better they pop right back up!). 2: WE-ARE-GETTING-A-FLIPPIN-GOOSE, We are hoping to get a brown chinese goose (Google says they are a little smaller than white chinese geese). The reason why we are getting a guard goose is because of a lot of predators. And last though not least number 3: We are getting 9 egg layers (3 wyandottes, 3 americanas, 3 Rhode Island blues! I didn't know that Rhode Island Blues exist!) and 30 Cornish cross chickens. Cornish cross chickens are ONLY meat birds meaning that they can't lay eggs and they can't reproduce so you gotta cross different chicken breeds (Pretty sure a Plymouth rock and a Delaware I think). We got 15 smaller cornish cross chicks and then 15 bigger cornish cross chickens. I do this weird thing that I tell them a disturbing horror story and I just say "So that's what will happen to you, okay thank you for listening to my story and ByE" And then my mom "Great" with a very sarcastic voice. Hoping to socialize with the chicks a bit more and plant my garden soon (Which I will talk about later). Thank you for reading this and have a great day!

Congratulations on your new goose and chicks! :wee
Just for your information I have a brown Chinese gander and a white Chinese gander and they are about the same size - only difference is the white Chinese weighs a little more. I imagine the females of the two breeds would be similar in size as well!

Also, about a guard goose:
Geese do virtually nothing to guard against predators…any land animal can take them out and even hawks are rarely deterred by them. I have had a couple hawks fly over very though hoping to grab a snack even though I have four large geese in the yard with the other birds.
Finally, one goose is apt to be lonely; they are social creatures and like company of their own kind.

Just sayin…:old

Edited to add this article:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...d-goose-and-why-you-should-not-get-one.77508/

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom