Urban Homestead backyard plan - chicken coop located.

Sounds like you have just enough room for 7 hens, as recommendations generally run 4 square feet of floor spacen in coop and 10 square feet of run per bird.

Plus we will allow them out in 1st open air enclosure and remaining gardens quite as well. No cooped up hens here ;)

That is a great way to get the most possible out of your backyard! Look forward to seeing pictures of the progress!
thumbsup.gif
Thanks Mahlzeit ! We'll post progress pics for sure . I know the rendering makes things look "finished" in a certain way and for the most part the primary areas are pretty set (my wife and kids and I have gone through a number of sketches and discussions, but we know there are still areas to refine and maybe not decide on until later.)

But I thought we had made quite a bit of progress on the Plan and wanted to share it with BYC and get feedback .

Thanks again :)
~Sam

I love landscape illustrations, is that hand drawn or computer generated?
The photo greatly enhances the understanding of the drawing.

I did some calculating of rainwater collection at one point, made up a spreadsheet to evaluate my various roofs.
100 sqft of roof and 1in of rain will collect 60 gallons of water. Made those 55 gallon rain barrels seem pretty ineffective with the foot print required for vessels and the system for diversion of overflow critical. Just something more for you to think about ;-)

You've a wonderful plan and I look forward to seeing your progress.

I love landscape illustrations, is that hand drawn or computer generated?
The photo greatly enhances the understanding of the drawing.

I did some calculating of rainwater collection at one point, made up a spreadsheet to evaluate my various roofs.
100 sqft of roof and 1in of rain will collect 60 gallons of water. Made those 55 gallon rain barrels seem pretty ineffective with the foot print required for vessels and the system for diversion of overflow critical. Just something more for you to think about ;-)

You've a wonderful plan and I look forward to seeing your progress.
As an Architect, I use AutoCAD quite a bit so the base drawing for the rendering is from the cad file for our site plan and then I rendered it with my kids colored pencils .
I attached the book I'm reading on rain harvesting - working on understanding the needs of the coop roof and for our additional plans for our house roof.
We'll be posting our progress so I hope you do give us feedback - I've seen lots of posts from you and will appreciate your outlook.
Thanks aart !
~Sam

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom