URGENT!!!! 4 week old chick cant walk

krazykatz13

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jan 27, 2012
I have a 4 week old baby chick that I noticed yesterday was having difficulty standing and walking. It appears to only be in one leg but I could not find any noticeable problems (swollen hock, crooked toes) I had her in with 3 other chicks but put her by herself because the others were stepping on her. She eats and drinks but mostly sits in one place. When I pick her up, one leg is drawn up an one hangs down but she can hold both up or down. I have 12 chicks in all and she is the only one with this problem. I am feeding Purina medicated chick starter/grower. Any ideas or suggestions?

Last edited:
I have tried giving her oyster shell but she will not eat it. I tried taping her legs in a splint but she just falls over and kicks and ends up stuck on her back. I even cut a Capri Sun box to fit around her, with an opening for poop and a cut out for her neck but she still manages to flip it and herself upside down. Her feet seem to want to stick straight out behind her instead of her sitting or standing on them. I bought some electrolyte tablets at TSC and have been putting that in her water but has not seemed to help either. She eats and drinks as long as she is sitting in front of the food and water but if she tries to move, she is upside down. Please let me know if anyone has any ideas or suggestions or if I should just put her down.

Back
Top Bottom