*Urgent* How do I get my girls to lay in the nest box?

AJ666

Songster
9 Years
Apr 5, 2010
La Crosse, WI
I just got my first egg yesterday, and that was layed on the floor even though I have seen the one who layed it messing around in the nest box. My BO is laying too, but she lays off their roost, so they fall to the floor and crack. How do I get them to go in the nest box?!

I have always introduced my girls to their nesting boxes and added fake eggs if I had any on hand. I've used golf balls too and they have all caught on pretty quick. Just make sure you sit the girls in the boxes and add something that looks like an egg to the boxes. They will get catch on.
smile.png

Do you have fake eggs in the nesting boxes? I did that for mine and they seemed to pick up on it. Do they free range? Sometimes mine lay all over the yard. I have also found that since they started laying, they've been getting better about doing it in the "right" spot. I would give it some time, they are still learning
smile.png

Once I finally had a pullet laying (I use golf balls in the nest boxes too) I didn't let them free range for a little while. Mine have always laid in the nest boxes. I don't know if I am just lucky that way though.

Back
Top Bottom