Urgent - Ivermectin Mishap

Missceegee

Songster
Jun 27, 2021
North Florida
Tonight I’m dosing chickens for Depluming mites for second time with pour on ivermectin. I weighed them and drew up the med but instead of applying to the skin I mistakenly gave it by mouth to a couple of the first ones. I realized it after the first few. I guess I was thinking Valbazen. Been a rough week around here with sick kids and traveling hubby and upcoming surgery for my kid on Friday and I’m on my own without helpers tonight. I just plain messed up.

Questions…
- Will those chickens be alright?
- Do I need to do anything else for them?
- Do I need to reapply to the skin? If so, tonight or when?

Help please. @aart @3KillerBs @dawg53 @rosemarythyme and anyone else.

No. Don't give the 2 hens any more Ivermectin now.
No. It's not meant to be given orally.

My gut tells me they likely will be okay if you only gave them the usual 1/4ml of the 1% (5mg per ml). Toxicity sets in at above 5mg/kg (or about 10mg per 4 to 5 pound bird). At 1/4ml, you'd only have about 1 to 1.5 mg (if I did the math right in my head).
http://www.poultrydvm.com/drugs/ivermectin

But...I've never done that, and all I can find is NOT to give it orally when it's pour on. The pour on is in a base that is meant to permeate the skin and fat cells, so I should imagine gut uptake would be faster. Good news is there is an 8x variation allowance on Ivermectin (see the 10mg per 4 to 5 pound bird).

If you seen any signs, it will be neural in nature (tremors, muscle weakness). It could possibly cause blindness too or diarrhea.

Anyone recommend charcoal tablets for the birds to absorb some of the ivermectin?
@casportpony

LofMc

Yep. I knew it was topical. But I dosed my roo with tylan orally first and then just didn’t think for a couple hens. Then smacked myself.

I dosed at 0.09 mL per pound. So for example Big Red the roo got 0.63 ml as he weighs 7 lb. I will note it’s been an hour and he seems fine as does the other. Sleeping on the roost. I’m still out medicating. Now dealing with a couple scaly legs.

I don't know the absorption difference in the gut vs the skin/fat pathway, but again, my gut tells me they are still well within the tolerance level of 10mg per 4 to 5 pound bird.

Yeah...we've all pulled boners like that one.

Oh well. Keeping my fingers crossed all is well. You should know for certain in a day or so.

LofMc :fl

Thank y’all Out here medicating I needed to finish the job and asking was quicker than looking up in the moment. Thanks again. I quit after the big flock. Save the small one for tomorrow. Night

All the chickens are acting fine after my mess up. Thankfully.

This is Ivermectin dose 2. When I administered dose 1 it was after I bathed them to help with Depluming mites. After that bath and first dose there was noticeable difference in the comb and wattle appearance within a day. Previously they were pale and dry, flaky even a bit. Afterwards they were red and waxy for a few days. Then back to dry, flaky white looking and more pale. I had hoped dose two would kick in fast and I’d see them looking great this morning. Nope. They are all gaining weight or holding steady and eating and pooping normally. They’ve been dewormed with Valbazen recently. Eat naturewise all flock with free choice oyster shell. They freerange a large pasture too. Occasionally get some mealworms or a bitty bit of scratch. In this flock of 30 (variety) layers I get 20-24 eggs a day.

I wanted to do all organic and natural everything. Florida weather and critters laughed at that.

Photos - couple of combs pre treatment. One with head feathers gone from pecking, mating, and prob the mites, too. A comb the day after first treatment when all were noticeably improved). Bathed chicken showing feather loss.

Note that first chicken comb (buff Orpington) that chickens wings now look like sticks.

I have cleaned the 38’ x 10’ coop/covered run totally 3 times. Removing all shavings and burning them and replacing. I cannot keep doing that.

Attachments

• 3D82FAE6-CBCF-41B4-861C-D0493BF910C0.jpeg
    3D82FAE6-CBCF-41B4-861C-D0493BF910C0.jpeg
    434.9 KB · Views: 11
  • EB6DEED4-0782-4575-8FA0-AD38F7D257A7.jpeg
    EB6DEED4-0782-4575-8FA0-AD38F7D257A7.jpeg
    432.4 KB · Views: 11
  • EFCE557D-283E-49B6-B296-A71E9F0FDCDD.jpeg
    EFCE557D-283E-49B6-B296-A71E9F0FDCDD.jpeg
    478 KB · Views: 12
  • 239176E6-3A1E-4B79-BD00-B721A68D52EC.jpeg
    239176E6-3A1E-4B79-BD00-B721A68D52EC.jpeg
    555.4 KB · Views: 11
Your birds should be okay. I dont recommend giving those two birds ivermectin in the future as there may be a toxic reaction, even on skin on the back of the neck.
Let us know how they're doing this morning.
I will note the ones to avoid dosing. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom