USDA Seeks Comments on the Labeling of Meat and Poultry Products Derived from Animal Cells

BlueBaby

Chick hatching addict.
8 Years
Mar 21, 2016
Someplace near Phoenix, Arizona
USDA Seeks Comments on the Labeling of Meat and Poultry Products Derived from Animal Cells
09/02/2021
The U.S. Department of Agriculture’s (USDA) Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) published today an advance notice of proposed rulemaking (ANPR) to solicit comments and information regarding the labeling of meat and poultry products made using cultured cells derived from animals under FSIS jurisdiction. FSIS will use these comments to inform future regulatory requirements for the labeling of such food products.

All I know is they better label it PROMINENTLY as derived from x - not as the actual thing like beef or pork or chicken or duck... If I have to search for it with a magnifier I will no longer buy it - I will have more of an incentive to just raise my own or buy from a farmer ultra local.

If the USDA won't have that labeling as a regulation = Just another useless government agency.

From the end statement

"In the Biden-Harris Administration, USDA is transforming America’s food system with a greater focus on more resilient local and regional food production,"

By growing it in a lab?
I usually look at what is said and understand it is exaclty opposite of that. Doesn't matter who is speaking (in regulatory capacity) - they have different definitions of everyday words.

I just thought that some may be interested in the future prospect in this matter.
Well yeah, I am interested. I've known that they were doing this, now they're working on bringing to market. Even more reason not to buy processed foods. I don't think they'll be able to slip this into the meat counter....you can't grow a steak that looks like a steak.

As for commenting...they don't care what we say.

Well yeah, I am interested. I've known that they were doing this, now they're working on bringing to market. Even more reason not to buy processed foods. I don't think they'll be able to slip this into the meat counter....you can't grow a steak that looks like a steak.

As for commenting...they don't care what we say.
You are probably right in that they don't really care about what we say. It's all about the money. First it will be the meat, and then they will start working on the veggies most likely.

I just thought that some may be interested in the future prospect in this matter.
I think it's always good to know what is coming - that way you can try to participate in the process - and if it doesn't go your way you can prepare for an alternative. Thanks for the heads up. I'll be checking in on who comments. I'm sure the giants in the meat industry will have comments backed up by big bucks.

Back
Top Bottom