Lothiriel

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
13 Years
Aug 30, 2007
New York State
My Coop
My Coop
So besides meat, what could I use a turkey hen for? I've been offered one, but my mom said that the only reason to have one would be for meat, and I WILL NOT eat Waldo.
love.gif

I think I read that turkeys aren't the best layers... I don't want a tom, so I wouldn't be able to use her for breeding meat birds. What other things could I use aa turkey for? I'm in love with Waldo, and she really wanted to come home with me...

Turkey hens are seasonal layers and the eggs are very good, a little larger than a chicken with spots. They are great pets and will get along fine with other fowl. If you don't have nay other birds for her to be with then don't get her, it would not be fair to her. Turkeys are social and need other birds, dogs, people around to play with. If you do get her, spend some time and enjoy her company. I used to have a tom that would work on the car with me, he would be strutting around me the whole time I was laying on the ground or under the hood.

What do you mean by "seasonal layer?"

I have my 12 chickens that she would live with if I got her. Also we have 2 cows and 2 dogs. I noticed how social she is -- we were buying bedding hay and she hung out with us the whole time, flying up on top of the trailer, walking around, strutting, and following us. She wouldn't leave. And she loved it when I pet her.

they only lay from spring till fall. the cooler it is the later they will start and earlier they will finish. In TX we get eggs from about feb thru december.

No, she's a hen. The guy has had her for about 1 1/2 years and she's been laying eggs. She was walking around us, puffing her feathers like she was showing us how pretty she is. The guy said she was strutting, so I just repeated that. I'm not sure if that's what you'd really call it... And his tom was there too.

Last edited:
Quote:
strutting huh? most 'normal' hens, don't strut...

sounds like a tom afterall.

A hen will strut especially if no tom is present she is the boss and wants you to know it.

Quote:
strutting huh? most 'normal' hens, don't strut...

sounds like a tom afterall.

A hen will strut especially if no tom is present she is the boss and wants you to know it.

ya, in case you didn't read my post... I put the word "NORMAL" into brackets, meaning that not all hens don't strut. I've seen hens strut all the time, most cases involving one dominate hen wanting to prover her point over something else, like a newly introduced turkey or chicken; which is most likely the case here; but over a person.

Turkeys are just so endearing. I have a hen and a tom (Mr. and Mrs. Turkey--I know...how original haha), anyhow, they just make the cutest sounds, and they're so curious and friendly. Mrs. Turkey is a Blue Slate and Mr. Turkey is a Royal Palm.

Turkey eggs are alot bigger than chicken eggs, and they do have speckles.....Really neat! You could enjoy her for the eggs, and the company as well.

Not every bird is a producer at my place....That's probably wasteful, but I've got an old hen that quit laying, and she was my first chicken ever, and so I can't bare to part with her, and then I've got the banty flock, just for their cuteness....A handful of laying hens, and of course, the two turkeys.....

You could keep them for their beauty and enjoy them. Just remember, alot of turkeys can't live with chickens because chickens carry blackhead disease, which can be fatal to a turkey. It works out over at my place....In checking with the local farmers, they haven't had blackhead issues. Just be watchful of that......

Take care,
Sharon

Quote:

ya, in case you didn't read my post... I put the word "NORMAL" into brackets, meaning that not all hens don't strut. I've seen hens strut all the time, most cases involving one dominate hen wanting to prover her point over something else, like a newly introduced turkey or chicken; which is most likely the case here; but over a person.

I would consider all my hens NORMAL and I can tell you at one time or another they all strut around the yard, whether it be chasing one of the roosters or toms, showing off to the younger jakes, or sometimes just coming to get feed when they are excited.

Its okay, no reason to get upset over something so silly. Sorry if you took offense at my post. Like Bill Cosby used to say " Have a Coke and a smile"
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom