Using a Chicken to hatch Welsh Harlequin Duck eggs?

cfortier

Chirping
7 Years
Jun 14, 2012
Hi everyone,

We have 7 Welsh Harlequin ducks. 2 males and 5 females. They are great ducks, but terrible egg sitters. I think they get distracted too easily. Regardless...we have 4 Welsummer hens and when they started to lay eggs last fall one of them became broody right away. I am wondering if in the spring time when my hens start to lay their eggs again and one of them goes broody if i could slip them a duck egg or two to incubate and hatch for me. I personally think it would be really cool to have my chickens raising ducks. Has anyone else ever done this before? If so, looking for tips on how to make it a successful venture.

Many thanks!

Yes! I had a broody Silkie hen that I slipped Australian Spotted Duck eggs under this past summer. She not only was a perfect broody, but hatched all of the eggs and raised those little guys like a pro! The only thing was that I had to take her off of the nest every day to go poop, eat, drink and stretch her legs, as she was committed to the nest. Even though she was a first time "mom", she did great! The little ducks never knew the difference. I have heard that a Silkie hen will raise anything, chick, duck, turkey, you name it. So, I'm not sure all chicken breeds will be as accepting of a different bird in the mix. But, it is worth a try.

Back
Top Bottom