Using a Coxoid, What period for egg withdrawel and Post Pro-Biotic Use?

Panicbuttongb

In the Brooder
May 24, 2020
Hi

Had my first run of what seemed to be Coccidiossis recently. Kept hens for about 15 years but never had this come up, maybe we have been lucky. Any way had some older and younger birds affected.

Read two books and did some research on the net. I tried Crushed Garlic in the water but that didnt do to much. Might work as a health tonic and reduce the likeleyhoold but going by my experience now using a treatment seems to have more impact.

We are in the UK and getting treatment was tricky, pet shops cannot sell it neither farm shops. Vets can but don't have much experience. In the end turns out we have a local poultry and bird shop I didnt know about only 20 miles away.

I managed to get some "Harkers Oral Covid Solution", Used for treating pigeons. I have been treating our chickens for about 3 days now and all but one has made a huge improvement. The older hen who is fairly old is much better and eating now but a way to go before back to full health.

I have a few questions,

• Those that have had a outbreak of Cocci, have you used treatment containing Amprolium like Harhers or Corid? Did it help?
  • Once treatment finsished (I was advised 7 days), how long is egg withdrawel?
  • Keen to get there gut health back up, shall I crack on with pro-biotics and chicken tonic's/ACV etc. to help them get there condition back and natural gut health. Assume this chemical may affect the balance?
  • Does garlic help to prevent this happeneing in the future? I understand they all have some in their gut but I am not sure what happened? I do feed wild birds as well and the chickens free roam a bit in the day. Is garlic in water regulalrly a good idea?
Any feedback or tips much appreciated.

Panic

If I'm not mistaken, Harkers Coxoid is 3.84% Amprolium Hydrochloride, unlike Corid (in the US) which is 9.6% Amprolium Hydrochloride. So with the 3.84% Amprolium you use:
0.024% = 4.8 teaspoons of suspension per gallon of water.
0.012% = 2.4 teaspoons of suspension per gallon of water.
0.006% = 1.2 teaspoon of suspension per gallon of water.
I don't know if you know that or not.

Don't give any vitamins while on Amprolium because it works as a vitamin B1 blocker and giving B1 will cancel out its effects.

This link has dosing for Harkers, says 1 oz per gallon of water. (also has ml/liter amounts).
https://poultrykeeper.com/poultry-medication/coxoid-coccidiosis/
There is no egg withdrawl for amprolium. Amprolium is a thiamine blocker or mimic, it starves the coccidia so they die, not an antibiotic. I would not give anything else while treating with the amprolium and make sure it's the only water they have access to during treatment. I would follow treatment with probiotics. I personally don't believe in, or use, garlic in the water. I know it's touted a lot everywhere, I've never found it to really be helpful. And too much garlic can cause a specific type of anemia, so that should be considered. "Too Much" for a small bird is a lot less in amount than "too much" for a 100-200 lb human.
Amprolium has always been effective for me, there are some threads where the particular coccidia strain may have been resistant to it (it's the most commonly used medication) and in those cases it's usually recommended to switch to either a sulfa antibiotic or toltrazuril, if you don't get improvement with the amprolium. I have never had to do that.

They must be calling for a higher dose than what is used with Corid. With Corid and a "severe" case the dose is 0.024% in water.

Corid (9.6% Amprolium) Calculation:
1 gallon = 768 tsp
* 0.00024 / 0.096 = 1.92 tsp per gallon of water.

Coxoid (3.84% Amprolium) Calculation:
768 * 0.00024 / 0.0384 = 4.8 tsp per gallon of water.

Back
Top Bottom