Using a vacuum sealer?

I also made a couple of ice packs thta I now keep in my freezer. If you put water and rubbing alcohol in a bag (50/50 mix) and seal it, it will stay slushy after you put it in the freezer. I make them with ice cubes and rubbing alcohol, and when it melted completely, I toss it in the spare freezer. They don't last forever, but they do last many uses. I end up making the size bag I need to fit the sprain - right now I have two in the freezer, one that is big enough to fit around my ankle and one for my wrist. Stupid dog knocked me off the front porch steps.
duc.gif

Yesterday I learned how to seal liquids in the Cabela's vacumm sealer. There was some air left in the bag, but for what I wanted, that wasn't an issue.

I like to marinate foods in vacumm sealed bags. It takes less space in the fridge and it is so easy to just flip the bag over and marinate the other side. For fajitas, I like to marinate the flank steak over night, and every couple of hours or so I bend and twist the meat to get the marinade in between those meat fibers. However, the Cabelas machine needs to create a vacumm for the sealing bar to work right, so I thought I was out'a luck with this new machine.

For the model of Cabelas vacumm sealer that I have, it has a manual setting for when you want to make bags off of the rolls. You will need to make the bag a couple of inches longer than needed, that gives enough space for the liquid to have to travel before hitting the sealing bar. Put the meat and marinade in to the bag, squeeze most, but not all of the air out. Put the open end into the machine and push the start button, then push the manual button right away, I mean RIGHT AWAY. You don't want liquids sucked into the vacumm chanber because it will get into the machine, there isn't much room for spill-overs. It took me two tries, the first time some of the liquid was sucked up into the vacumm area and the seal failed, but I got it sealed on the second try.

A friend has one that I've asked to borrow (he's never used it) so I can try sealing up some stuff for the freezer. I was planning on starting with dry trail mix for hiking, but I can sometimes get deals on meat and stuff at the grocery store, and it would be nice to seal these too.

Anyone have tips? List of things not to do? I don't yet know what type he has.
You are going to love it... it's kind of addicting. I ended up vacuum sealing things for storage, even non food items. Beef Jerky lasts forever, trail mix is a good idea.

Here is an old bookmark of mine that I found very useful:

http://www.reluctantgourmet.com/foodsaver_vacuum_sealer.htm

Last edited:
i have one and i love it. Its only me my girlfriend and 2 yr old in the house. So we save alot buying meat at Sam's in bulk then i vacuum pack what we need in portion sizes. And it is kind of addicting like another poster said.

I finally made space for my vacumm sealer to sit on the counter. The new Cabelas one is just too heavy for me to keep putting away and pulling it out.
I am becoming addicted to the ease of putting leftovers in the freezer for lunches. Now I have enchiladas, taco meat, sliced baked ham, and stuffed shells. Just throw in the lunch sack in the AM, at noon I poke a hole in the plastic, microwave, and slip onto the plate to enjoy!
celebrate.gif

Yesterday I froze 4 bananas that went brown before I could eat them. Now they are mashed and frozen, ready to be made into banana cake this fall when it is a bit cooler.

I have 5 Foodsaver sealers and Love them . We do our own meat with other family membrs.so we do alot of sealing.
If I do any soups I freeze first, setting up in the freezer.then pull them all out and seal no liquid in the sealing chamber.
I also do this for breads and muffins freeze first then seal.My berries I do freeze on cookie sheets then seal keeps from getting smashed.

Back
Top Bottom