Using Aspirin on Chickens

AmoPullam

In the Brooder
6 Years
Nov 27, 2013
Can I use aspirin for my sick hen? She seems to be in a little pain, and I know that I can give it to her, but what is the correct dosage? Preferably, I would give it to her with food rather than disolved in water, as it is easier for me to get her to eat than to drink. Thanks for taking the time to read.

I wouldn't go over a baby aspirin for a LF bird.
My preferred method is to dissolve, put in an eye dropper or similar device and make them drink it.
You could also put the crushed BA over some yogurt or something you know they'll completely consume.

I couldn't find baby aspirin in the several drug stores I went to, but I read that I could give them regulary aspirin. Could I crumble a 81mg aspirin tablet over some yogurt and give that to her? Or would it be too strong? What is the difference between baby and regular aspirin?

You can buy low dose aspirin that people with heart problems etc take daily. They are teeny tiny tablets, sometimes shiny red that a chicken would gobble in one peck without tasting.
Just ask your pharmacist but pretty sure they are the equivelant of half an aspirin.
Just remember that aspirin will thin the blood so be careful if the pain is due to injury and I wouldn't give if there is any chance of internal injury/bleeding.

Also remember the dose for a full grown adult human is only 1-2 tablets. Be careful not to overdose a little 1kg chicken.

Last edited:
Thanks for all your answers, guys! I gave Francesca 1/4 of a 81mg chewable cherry aspirin. I guess that is a baby aspirin maybe. She seems to have perked up already.

If it's 81mg and chewable, it's the same as baby aspirin, but all you need to worry about is the 81mg part, the rest doesn't matter.
big_smile.png

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom