Using my yardbird plucker for the first time tomorrow. Any tips for me?

Tre3hugger

Let Your Freak Flag Fly
Mar 21, 2020
NW Massachusetts
Hey peeps. Just got my yardbird all assembled and turned it on. Seems awesome! I plan on processing about 10 birds (8 week cornishx) tomorrow with it.

My plan is to scald at 150. I am aware that the motor casing should be slightly uphill to deter water flow from it. I will use a bucket with holes under the feather chute to catch debris. I am going to add a Y diverter to the hose inlet so I can control the water flow at the machine, and still have another hose to wash my hands and table. I will post a thread here with my first time user review when all is done.

I guess my question is am I missing anything? Any tips from people that have been using these for a while and learned a couple things? Appreciate it!

The on/off switch is too low and slows ya down so stay near it and forget the bucket and get a tarp for feathers is my advice 🙂. My 9&11 yos are the plucker runners bc the switch drives me nuts (I’m 6’ and usually preg when we process)
Appreciate your input. I did notice the switch is quite low but I am only doing a few birds. If I dispatch 4 at a time, I should only need to turn the plucker on/off 2 of 3 times during the day. NBD.

Do you just put a tarp under the whole thing and the water tuns off but the feathers don't? Please elaborate.

Thanks!

I put a plastic pot that a shrub came in, into a holey bucket under the shoot. Catching the feathers and letting the water run off.
When you're done, look at the underside of the motor. Somehow feathers get in there restricting the air flow to the motor. Tweezers work
Just the kind of thing i was looking for with the motor/feathers. Thanks!

What purpose does doubling up the buckets serve?

I wired a waterproof switch to an outdoor outlet and that's what I plug mine into to solve the switch problem. I attached it all to a post next to the spot where we run the plucker. I think you could also get a waterproof foot switch fairly cheap. Sounds like you got everything in place for a good butchering day! I also use a large plastic bin with holes to catch the feathers. Mine is about 15 gallons or so. I butcher on a wooden deck so the water falls through that. But if your out on the grass or dirt, it might help to have a pallet under your feather container to keep the bottom from getting clogged.

I wired a waterproof switch to an outdoor outlet and that's what I plug mine into to solve the switch problem. I attached it all to a post next to the spot where we run the plucker. I think you could also get a waterproof foot switch fairly cheap. Sounds like you got everything in place for a good butchering day! I also use a large plastic bin with holes to catch the feathers. Mine is about 15 gallons or so. I butcher on a wooden deck so the water falls through that. But if your out on the grass or dirt, it might help to have a pallet under your feather container to keep the bottom from getting clogged.
I like the idea of a waterproof inline switch. I am running an a heavy duty extension cord plugged into my electrical shed. Pallet underneath is a good idea too. Appreciate the input!

This thing is AWESOME. Worked exactly as advertised. Used my new propane burner as a scalder which was also awesome. Heated the water up in minutes. A couple times I overshot it and was able to quickly correct by throwing a few ice cubes in. Scalded between 150-160. The birds were 97% plucked after 10 seconds in the machine. I did 1 at a time. These cornish are pretty big, almost 9 weeks old. So far I am loving my new process. Just did 4 birds in about 45 mins.
20210504_103946.jpg

Back
Top Bottom