Utah!

Hi all! I'm returned from the south, getting moved back in to my house, barn, and coop. What a mess!

Looking for some hatching eggs to brighten my days... Anyone have or know of source for Blu/Black/Splash Ameraucana or other nice blue eggs, Salmon Faverolle, and Black Copper Marans hatching eggs?

Some of you had Cream Legbars started a few years ago... How'd that go? Are you happy with the color?

Lady Isadora - how is the plucker coming? DH built one from a washing machine - it's great! but the building of it had more kinks than expected. He set up a whole processing station. It makes processing and clean up a breeze.

Good to be home - would love to hear from you all.

Ann

ann its so good to hear from you. I envy your barn and coop. We'll need to get together, I have a pair of Seramas available

Using the washing machine ended up being an extra hassle - but DH was enamoured with the red-neck-edness of the washing machine and persisted. I would suggest making sure the space for feathers to drain from is big enough so that you can wash them out with the hose and not have to pull the stinky things out with your (MY) hands. And if you're going to pluck in an area where you don't want mess - like the inside of your barn - that you design a system to catch the feather mess. I'm sure DH has a different perspective!

Birdman - interesting sprouting idea. Will 30 year old food storage wheat sprout? Or weevily wheat?

Using the washing machine ended up being an extra hassle - but DH was enamoured with the red-neck-edness of the washing machine and persisted. I would suggest making sure the space for feathers to drain from is big enough so that you can wash them out with the hose and not have to pull the stinky things out with your (MY) hands. And if you're going to pluck in an area where you don't want mess - like the inside of your barn - that you design a system to catch the feather mess. I'm sure DH has a different perspective!

Birdman - interesting sprouting idea. Will 30 year old food storage wheat sprout? Or weevily wheat?
i am not sure. i am sure the germination rate would go down but i have not tried it. i am thinking of it tho. would be especially great in winter. would be easy to make one too.

Hi I'm fairly new I joined in April. I live in a tiny town called Central, Utah. It's near Pinevalley, between St. George and Enterprise. The road you turn on to go to Pine valley, that town right there is central.

I think I've gotten in over my head. I have 1 yr old chicken, 22 3 month olds, 9 3-4 week olds, 2 ducks and 2 turkeys that are 6-7 weeks.

I went a little crazy. Now I'm not sure what I'm going to do with all the eggs, let alone what to do with the ducks if both are or the turkeys are both male. I have never killed anything in my life and cannot see me doing it anytime in the future. :he

We have some wheat that old, if not older! I tried sprouting it in some water a few yrs. back..not much happened. I was told to keep it anyway, because you can make a mush cereal from it, it still holds some nutritional value.

Hi I'm fairly new I joined in April. I live in a tiny town called Central, Utah. It's near Pinevalley, between St. George and Enterprise. The road you turn on to go to Pine valley, that town right there is central.

I think I've gotten in over my head. I have 1 yr old chicken, 22 3 month olds, 9 3-4 week olds, 2 ducks and 2 turkeys that are 6-7 weeks.

I went a little crazy. Now I'm not sure what I'm going to do with all the eggs, let alone what to do with the ducks if both are or the turkeys are both male. I have never killed anything in my life and cannot see me doing it anytime in the future.
he.gif

I know I've gotten in over my head a few times. I won't kill them, I sell what I can't keep..trust me, it's hard! I would keep them all, for a long time if I didn't just have a back yard. I like getting the eggs, so I keep egg layers back there. I also keep some cute banties for fun.
Welcome!

Between mine and my brothers place (I live next to him) we have over 3 acres. So space isn't the problem, I'm disabled and it's getting to be a lot of bending over work, which I had back surgery 2 years ago.

That's what I'm worried about.

We tried out the chicken plucker for the first time today. The two roosters had to go. It worked. It has some kinks that need to be worked out. I need a motor with a bit more torque. I scalded one of the birds at much too high of a heat (all my thermometers have died in one way or another in the past month, the last one working is a candy thermometer that is hard to read and I was impatient)
So that chicken lost a bit of its skin along with the feathers. One of his legs got caught up and got broken.
As far as plucking it though, the machine did a much better job in a minute or two than I do in 45. Sweetie made it easy to clean out and that part worked well too. I'm still calling it a win though we will have to work through the motor quirks.
big_smile.png
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME ;-) Who would have thought I would ever have wanted a chicken plucker for a birthday present? Our wants & needs sure change as we age ;-)

Back
Top Bottom