Utah!

she has not been on the nest today so maybe she is not committed yet. but knowing her sooner or later she will be full on committed lol. she is a funny girl. cynthia this is the girl i got from you years ago. oh and the buff orp i got from you at the same time is very protective of the nest boxes, she will go after you if you are getting into them lol

Ha, that's great. How old are they now..it's been a while! Still laying? Well, not the one going broody. She should be a pretty good sized bird.

Ha, that's great.   How old are they now..it's been a while!   Still laying?  Well, not the one going broody.   She should be a pretty good sized bird. 
looks like i got them from you in march of 2012. they still lay great, almost daily. i actually have birds a few years older than them too lol. but yeah the spr is a very big girl in both weight and how fluffy she is lol. she is huge. she is much bigger than my brahma and brahmas are not small birds. its extra funny to see her run across the yard. but yeah if i let her hatch eggs she could do over a dozen no problem, she could do 18 i am sure. she is that big

Help.
My poor Cyuga has been sitting for well over a month like a dutiful momma she babies and protects her nest only comes off once a day to eat potty and bath. Will hiss at anyone that comes to close. I candled her eggs about 2-3 weeks ago and they were about 20 to 25 days ish.
I finally took the chance and candled again yesterday and there has been absolutely no progress. One egg is missing I assumed that the one that was rolled away and consumed was for another ducks nest. I was wrong.
Either way she has not abandoned the nest or rolled any more away and won't come off but still once a day. I am not sure how to proceed the poor thing tried so hard.
1) what could have happened so far along? Could it have been the outside heat?
2) how to help her moving forward? Take them and remove her nest? Let her figure it out?
She is only a little over a year old this season her first try at it.

Can you find some baby chicks? This is what I did with my broody mom just about a week and a half ago. She accepted all of them but one, I took that one and the other silkie out, and she was fine with the other 5. Strange she didn't like the silkies. Who knows, but this is the best thing for a very determined broody. Surely someone nearby has some new chicks?

I'm thinking about taking a couple from my other broody her eggs are about 25 to 28 days along and letting her hatch those guys.

Back
Top Bottom