Valbazen Dosage?

Repeat dosing in 10 days unless dealing with tapeworms.
[/quote]

If I am dealing with tapeworms then when do I redose?

Hi!
New here. Posted on another thread about round worms before i found this.
Our chicks have roundworms and coccida and i am going to use Valbazen.
Using the formula provided here i think this is my dose

Dixie- 1.15 pounds = .16ml Dixie was born spring 2017

The rest, 2 years old
Teacup - 2.12 pounds = .3ml
Flowers 5.13 pounds = .5ml
Butters - 5.4 pounds = .5ml
The rooster Loren- 5.9 pounds .5 ml

Can i round up on the doses?
Any luck giving it to them in bread? I saw the pics on giving it orally, want to try something easier and that appeals to their greedy nature!

Now did i read right that Valbazen does not treat coccida? Is it fatal?
I ordered Corid 9.6% Oral Solution to be safe

Last edited:
I posted correct dosing for valbazen on your other post, am posting here also for others who may look or follow this thread. Dose is by weight, correct formula is: weight in lbs / 2.2 X 20mg / 113.6 = dose or more simply .08 ml per pound, so weight in lbs X .08 ml.
I always give orally and don't have any problems. You can round up to the next easily measureable amount to dose. Your 1.15 lb bird would get 1.15 X .08ml = .09 ml, and I would just round to .1 ml. Your largest bird would get 5.9 X .08 = .47ml and I would just round to .5ml. Valbazen will not treat coccidia, the corid will take care of that. Coccidia can be fatal, some strains are more virulent than others. If in doubt I would treat for it, the corid is really safe. Follow treatment with vitamins and probiotics for a few days to get their gut back in some balance. Don't give vitamin supplements during the treatment with corid as it may reduce the effectiveness of the medication, start after treatment is complete. Hope that helps.

I posted correct dosing for valbazen on your other post, am posting here also for others who may look or follow this thread. Dose is by weight, correct formula is: weight in lbs / 2.2 X 20mg / 113.6 = dose or more simply .08 ml per pound, so weight in lbs X .08 ml.
I always give orally and don't have any problems. You can round up to the next easily measureable amount to dose. Your 1.15 lb bird would get 1.15 X .08ml = .09 ml, and I would just round to .1 ml. Your largest bird would get 5.9 X .08 = .47ml and I would just round to .5ml. Valbazen will not treat coccidia, the corid will take care of that. Coccidia can be fatal, some strains are more virulent than others. If in doubt I would treat for it, the corid is really safe. Follow treatment with vitamins and probiotics for a few days to get their gut back in some balance. Don't give vitamin supplements during the treatment with corid as it may reduce the effectiveness of the medication, start after treatment is complete. Hope that helps.

Thank you!
I did post on the other before finding this one. I will get better at this posting. They are my daughters chickens and we took her away to college 2 weeks ago. So they are my chickens now!
I am going to treat all the birds for everything. Two showed for the worms and the same two showed for Coccidia. The one bird who seems the most lethargic tested negative for everything. But being a flock i will assume they all have it.

What kind of Valbazen do I buy or is there only one form of it? Also when you worm with the Valbazen is their a withdrawal period on the eggs?

I use valbazen often. It is the safest wormer on the market. Valbazen kills all known types of worms that chickens can get. It slowly kills worms over several days preventing toxic dead worm overload that other wormers cant. Dosage for standard size birds is 1/2cc given orally undiluted, 1/4cc for smaller birds. Repeat dosing in 10 days unless dealing with tapeworms.
My girls have tapeworms, just dosed them yesterday with the 1/2 cc each of Valbazen. You said redose after 10 days unless dealing with tapeworms... what do I do differently because of tapeworms?

My girls have tapeworms, just dosed them yesterday with the 1/2 cc each of Valbazen. You said redose after 10 days unless dealing with tapeworms... what do I do differently because of tapeworms?
Welcome to BYC! Dawg doesn't post here anymore. If you want to treat tapes, your best bet is to buy some Equimax horse paste and give each bird 0.16 ml.

Welcome to BYC! Dawg doesn't post here anymore. If you want to treat tapes, your best bet is to buy some Equimax horse paste and give each bird 0.16 ml.
Does that include young birds? I have 6 girls who are 3-4 months old, and I pulled a long worm out one of their butts (which scared the life out of me), so I wanted to make sure they get treated.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom