Valentine's day hatch -a-long

So far I believe there's 5 out. 25 more to go.
The 5 are EE mutts.

Attachments

• 20180214_082449.jpg
    20180214_082449.jpg
    298.8 KB · Views: 7
Sad news of the day:
I got home from a biopsy (you'd think that would have been the worst part of my day)
and went out to the coop. I found Princess Lay-a inside the coop & she had a touch of blood on her head & beak. I gently picked her up & saw some additional scratches on one side.....and then a large flap of skin/feathers was open to show several fatty bodies, neck muscle & an exposed crop. UGH! Surprisingly over 1/3 of the skin around her hackle area was ripped off and hanging. She was still alive. I know it's very difficult to stitch up such a large area (several inches) and that chicken skin tears easily. Then there's the battle of infection. I looked at it logically. My sweet hen layed like a champ but would be 6 yrs old this summer. She was in shock & I need to take care of myself right now. It was too hard for me to process Princess by myself, so I called my handyman.

Princess has always been the top hen, best producer, and an all around good chicken. She foraged well, went broody once a year in June, was a fierce mother or could also be broken easily. She wasn't constantly underfoot like a silkie or in need of constant treats & snuggles like the orps, or overly vocal like the Sebright & Sussex. She did not do tricks, was not the most beautiful nor the center of attention. She was not even a purebred, but she was always part of our flock from the beginning and was a great bird. She liked to greet me for a brief pet to say hello & then went about her day.

:hit As I type this, the egg she laid this morning is sitting on the desk in front of me.
RIP my dear old friend.

princess-jpg.1252817
Oh I'm so sorry you lost her! That was a really nice remembrance. Sounds like she had an excellent chicken life.

10 in the brooder, 3 in the incubator and three more on the way. Apparently my silkies lay brown eggs, I've got a little jet black silkie mutt chick.

Attachments

• 20180214_155453.jpg
    20180214_155453.jpg
    228.3 KB · Views: 5
  • 20180214_144750.jpg
    20180214_144750.jpg
    498.2 KB · Views: 6
I think I'm at 18 chicks with 3 more pips. I'm surprised I've only got two booted chicks, my main rooster is half Brahma.

Attachments

• 20180215_084716.jpg
    20180215_084716.jpg
    443.6 KB · Views: 4
  • 20180215_084703.jpg
    20180215_084703.jpg
    454.9 KB · Views: 4
Any progress?
No. still wiggling but it doesn't look like it has actually broken through all the way. My humidity is 70% and temp 99.
It has been trying for at least 6 hrs. I am researching to see if I should pull a tiny bit of the shell away where it has cracked a bit to make an air hole.
I will try to upload a pic

No. still wiggling but it doesn't look like it has actually broken through all the way. My humidity is 70% and temp 99.
It has been trying for at least 6 hrs. I am researching to see if I should pull a tiny bit of the shell away where it has cracked a bit to make an air hole.
I will try to upload a pic
Mine sometimes take a 12+ hour nap after initial pip, so I wouldn't be worried about it until tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom