Vent gleet/infection.

Bfischer515

In the Brooder
Sep 19, 2022
Monday I noticed my girl (1.5 year silver laced Wyandotte) looked like she was pushing something out and thought maybe she prolapsed. I picked her up to check on her and everything looked normal.
Thursday I happened to see it again, so I decided to do an epsom soak that evening. I did that and left her in a crate inside for the night. She seemed ok Friday morning so I let her back out with the girls. They were all up in the coop when I got home, so I left her.
Saturday morning when I checked, I saw her do the pushing thing again and a little discharge, so I thought her in before work. I didn’t want the other girls pecking at her if something got stuck out. When I got home Saturday I did another epsom soak. She let out a good bit of clear after that.
Sunday morning I noticed she had a couple drops of blood on the floor. When I got back home things looked a little better. I went ahead and soaked her and then did vetricyn spray.
She’s now pooping more of a whiteish yellow liquid that also has revalue poop in it.
She has been eating, drinking and pooping during this whole thing. She hasn’t been lethargic or anything.
She is still pushing like she wants to get something out of her. It’s red on one side and white on the other when she pushes. There’s nothing on the outside thay would indicate gleet other than maybe missing feathers.
I have photos and videos but they are pretty nasty.
No vet can see her, was going to try miconazol but then saw something on here about it being toxic. I’m at a loss of what to do next bc I don’t know if it’s bacterial or fungal or what.

It sounds like an egg could have broke inside her.
Get some calcium citrate +D3 tablets and give her one tablet once a day until she gets better.
When was the last time she laid an egg?
Please post the photos.

It sounds like an egg could have broke inside her.
Get some calcium citrate +D3 tablets and give her one tablet once a day until she gets better.
When was the last time she laid an egg?
Please post the photos.
I thought that at first too, but I’m not certain. I know she hasn’t since Thursday but I’m not sure before that. I have 6 hens so I didn’t keep up.
Posting pics now

Friday night pushing, Sunday pushing, what it looks like now and then a little something I noticed on her face as well

Attachments

• 9AD0BC2A-E39C-4955-963C-1599972A15DB.png
    9AD0BC2A-E39C-4955-963C-1599972A15DB.png
    2 MB · Views: 4
  • D71E5652-7240-4600-B11F-EECE423DCC6F.png
    D71E5652-7240-4600-B11F-EECE423DCC6F.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 5
  • 901C611C-2F41-4D2B-9C91-DF84F76E2039.jpeg
    901C611C-2F41-4D2B-9C91-DF84F76E2039.jpeg
    550.4 KB · Views: 5
  • C03955DE-E94F-45A5-9499-DC6EA16B0C63.jpeg
    C03955DE-E94F-45A5-9499-DC6EA16B0C63.jpeg
    447.7 KB · Views: 5
So she did have a prolapse and it resolved on its own.
It may have been caused by trouble laying an egg.
Does the stuff on her face come off? It just looks like food.
I would get the calcium and give it to her.

So she did have a prolapse and it resolved on its own.
It may have been caused by trouble laying an egg.
Does the stuff on her face come off? It just looks like food.
I would get the calcium and give it to her.
But she keeps doing this pushing thing where it comes out and then back in. Is that normal? Those were only two of the instances, but I’ve seen it several times

So her prolapse is going in and out?
Maybe? I just took screen shots of the videos I had. It doesn’t happen everytime but sometimes she pushes and what I posted comes out and then goes back in. It’s like she goes through a spell pushing it out then it goes back in and she’s ok for a bit then later it happens again

Back
Top Bottom