Vent normal or problem

peeber

Chirping
6 Years
Mar 20, 2016
I have a 19 week old Buff Orpington whose vent looks different today. I noticed her walking around and her vent was protruding and retracting, almost like she was trying to poop. After a few minutes this stopped and she went on about pecking, with her normal puffy butt self. She didn't seem to be in distress, eating and drinking fine. Could this be a sign of impending egg laying or something to watch and be concerned about. My first chickens, by the way.

Last edited:
I have seen hens do that on occasion, I don't think it means anything is wrong unless they are really pushing and you are seeing red tissue protruding, it could be she is getting close to laying.

Thanks for your response. I'll watch her and see what happens. Interestingly, this morning she squatted when I approached her. First time for that too. Usually she flaps around and runs away.

She must be getting close to laying, her vent will enlarge and moisten, so maybe it feels weird and makes them contract the muscles.

I had a hen that was a layer already do the same thing sort of? She was constipated with a huge poop..She struggled for about two hours..Pooped a dog sized poop and then went in and laid her egg...I thought for sure she was going to die...

Never seen that before....

Back
Top Bottom