ventilation

myfarm4579

Chirping
5 Years
Jun 28, 2014
Maybe a stupid question but this will be my first winter with chickens. How do I keep my coop well ventilated while keeping it as draft free as possible? I have 2in vent up high all way around the coop as well as Windows on all four sides. Thanks for the help:)

The link SJSorensen gave is terrific! I have read and re-read it many times. If you are still uncertain about adding more ventillation, take a look at my current coop - https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/fates-crooked-chicken-shack. I live in the mountains of Virginia and it gets moderately cold here in the winter - often with lows in the 20s and lower and, like last winter, sometimes with highs only near 30 and lows at 0 or less. While I tend to block the front door ventilation with plexiglass because it would blow directly on the roosts, I leave the up high ventilation open or, if it is really windy, I might staple some garden fabric (used to cover plants to extend the grow season) over it - still lets air flow but reduces wind coming through. The garden fabric worked great this past winter and I had no frost bite issues for any of the chickens. And in the summer, all that ventilation helps keep the chickens comfortable even when it is in the 90s with high humidity.

Thanks for the replies. I checked out the ventilation site was very helpful. And I will take the advice on the landscape fabric. Thanks again

Back
Top Bottom