Very frustrating dilemma - sick/dead hens!

TXchickmum

Crossing the Road
12 Years
Apr 21, 2012
North Texas
A week and a half ago, our 2-yr-old bantam cochin passed away. She initially had issues with egg binding (which the vet was able to remedy), progressed to yellow/green droppings, and finally progressed to a crop that wouldn't empty. She had been placed on antibiotics and anti-inflammatories. Now, I have a large fowl (golden laced Wyandotte) that has begun passing the identical looking yellow droppings with bright green. She isn't eating much, and is staying in the run when the others go out into the yard. Is there some contagious illness that causes yellow/green droppings???? Could they both just coincidentally have separate issues? -wondering if this hen has egg yolk peritonitis......

It sounds contagious, possibly a virus (since the antibiotics didn't help). I would separate her as fast as possible and get her on vitamins and probiotics.

I'm sorry about your pullet, I hope your hen gets better soon.

Thank you. The entire flock has had electrolytes/probiotics in the water for about a month. -always give them this in the summer since the temps hover around 100 degrees. I will isolate her from the others (bring her indoors in the cool). I am just stumped at this point.
sad.png

Last edited:
I'm sure it is just a coincidence but, both have sickened SINCE you started probiotics & electrolytes - could they be getting too much? Maybe one or the other product is from a "faulty" batch.

The product contains both electrolytes and probiotics. I've measured according to directions, and actually was worried that it was such a tiny amount that they weren't getting enough. Now, I am curious if this batch may be bad. I just purchased it last month. -never considered that this might be the issue. Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom