Very hot weather, eggs have pips

Well, good news - the chick hatched and the hen is eating!!
Btw, I have to say that the chicks look way different than the ones she hatched last spring. A different father...

Thank you all!
Congrats!

Serama’s are good with high temps. @fluffycrow live in Greece with high temps every summer. Maybe she can tell you more if you have Serama questions.

Congrats!

Serama’s are good with high temps. @fluffycrow live in Greece with high temps every summer. Maybe she can tell you more if you have Serama questions.

My serama seem to do fine in high temperatures, given that they have access to water at all times, and are housed in a shady pen. In temperatures of 43, 40, 39 degrees Celsius they did not need anything else, such as hosing down their pen, taking them in the house, etc. By keeping a close eye on them, and watching out for signs of overheating, you'll be fine (provided that your serama are acclimated to your environment)

Thanks for the tag, @BDutch ! I'd be happy to answer any more questions the OP might have. I am, however, a man, not a woman

Aww congrats!!!
Baby pics???

Here are pictures from her last year hatching, and from this time. I stated on the picture. The mother is in the first picture. Well... I have to say.... we expected something else. We LOVE this serama and we wanted her to hatch her own eggs so we will have more little ones like her in the yard :) . Last year, as you can see in the picture, the chicks looked just like her and grew to be lovely little seramas, very similar to her. But this time... take a look, they don't look like her... and they are bigger. Its a different father this time and he isnt a serama. A bit sad because we really wanted more chicks like she had last year. I guess this time her genetics were weaker than the rooster? :( I hope they have at least some serama "features" !

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240425_164021_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240425_164021_Gallery.jpg
    214.3 KB · Views: 4
  • Screenshot_20240425_163950_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240425_163950_Gallery.jpg
    780.4 KB · Views: 4
My serama seem to do fine in high temperatures, given that they have access to water at all times, and are housed in a shady pen. In temperatures of 43, 40, 39 degrees Celsius they did not need anything else, such as hosing down their pen, taking them in the house, etc. By keeping a close eye on them, and watching out for signs of overheating, you'll be fine (provided that your serama are acclimated to your environment)

Thanks for the tag, @BDutch ! I'd be happy to answer any more questions the OP might have. I am, however, a man, not a woman
Thank you!! Do you think the chicks might still have some serama characteristics, according to what I have just posted?

Thank you!! Do you think the chicks might still have some serama characteristics, according to what I have just posted?

Yes. In at least one aspect, they'll all do, or look serama-like. To what extent depends on each individual bird. I'm sure that you'll find behavioural or physical similarities between the offspring and mum

Back
Top Bottom